Primary O2 sensor headaches

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm hoping someone has had similar and maybe able to offer some advice.

Bit of history first. I bought the car back in September and on the way home the EML came on. I read the code and it showed the O2 sensor to be the issue. Fair enough, I know they are common so to be expected. The light wouldn't always come on, but every second trip or so it would come on. I had Performance Autoworks fit a new one which cured it. It had not been back on since.

Fast forward to last weekend when I picked the car up from TGM after having the gearbox out for the diff etc. It had been road tested and was fine but as soon as I jumped in, EML on! Code read and it was showing O2 sensor again. So I ordered another one from Hendy which TGM fitted today. However the light was straight back on!

There's a bit of loom extension for the circuit about 3 inches long to move the wire away form the manifold, it comes with after market manifolds. Tom removed this and cabled it straight up. Again, light on every time without fail. Tom plugged his diagnostics computer in and it's showing correct voltages. So we put the original one back on without the loom extender and no light. I took the car for a drive and it didn't come back on. Odd. The extender has continuity on all pins.

So the new sensor went back in with the extender and the light behaviour is back to what it was a few months ago.

Tom is a bit stumped! I suspect the new sensor to be faulty and perhaps an intermittent issue with the extension kit. But I'm not sure. Ran out of time in the end so had to leave.

Anyone had similar?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Gotta be the extender really.

Did Tom check voltages with and without it attached?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

George657

Advanced Member
Voltage would still be the same.

But maybe because the loom has been extended there is more resistance in the circuit. Enough to cause an electrical error.

For example... a wire this long /------/ has X resistance
But a wire this long /--------------------/ multiplug \-----------------\. Will have a greater resistance.

Could be completely wrong but that sounds like the issue to me.

Fez

Advanced Member
I doubt a new oem sensor would be faulty (guessing that is what was fitted) i would say the extender is causing the issue.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Cheers for the comments. Light comes on straight away with the new sensor without the extender.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Still got my definite working senor here mate. We could swap it to test so you can rule one or the other out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2ndy

Advanced Member
Has your car not got a kpro? I'd just turn the sensor off since the car is well mapped anyway

Kev.W

Advanced Member
I had this issue with mine last year when mine went.

I ordered a new one and found the new one to be intermittent, one day being fine the other not, so I took it down to my uncles garage to get it up on ramp to make sure I fitted it properly and that was fine, check the voltage like you did and that seemed fine, going by my uncles experience and knowledge.

I phone the place I got replacement from and they told me to sent it back to them to run tests, while that was happening and so I wasn't without a car I ordered a Denso one and that worked fine, got a phone call back about the original replacement and was told it was a sensor for a UK EP3 and not my DC5 to which they offered the correct part or refund.

I will be honest and say I'm not clued up on O2 Sensors but I'm guessing the UK EP3's primary sensors are different band width to DC5's.

Not sure if this is helpful or not but this was my experience when I had to change mine last year...

2ndy

Advanced Member
It's in the closed loop settings when you connect the laptop to the ecu, you tick the box to disable the sensors then re upload the map.

I done it to mine as I had no o2 sensors at all before and the car was fine for about 2 years, will turn the annoying engine light out for now anyway

2ndy

Advanced Member
Sorry only seeing this now, just tick the boxes to disable the sensors, can leave the secondary one alone if it still works