problem starting car

dc5ian

Advanced Member
right i hadnt sartarted my car for 2 weeks, but took it out tonight.. started fine, drove around 30 miles to pick the significant other up.. i left the car lights on for 5 mins while i went into her flat to get her, and when i came back to start it up it wouldnt..it was like the bat was dead, i managed to get a battery charger on it for 15 mins and the car started, but drove home with the engine managment light on.. is it a dead battery? would that cause the engine managment light on?

markie

Advanced Member
could be battery or an alternator problem,best idea would be connect a multimeter to the battery to make sure your alternator is charging the battery, if it is it would point towards the battery.

markie

Advanced Member
alternator is working then looks like the battery has some dead cells
is it a sealed battery?
dc5ian said:
i put a meter on the battery, the battery was pushing out 13 amps

dc5ian

Advanced Member
started 3 times this morning no probs, no engine mangement light on either.. the battery is the original, on a 04 facelift.. it still could be the alternator as when i took the reading i had a battery charger on it.

markie

Advanced Member
you wont geet a true reading with the charger on it. best to have the car running with the lights and heater,heated rear window on and see what your meter reads then.
dc5ian said:
started 3 times this morning no probs, no engine mangement light on either.. the battery is the original, on a 04 facelift.. it still could be the alternator as when i took the reading i had a battery charger on it.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
yeh i no, i just put the meter on it to check if i had enough power to start the car... i didnt wanna keep trying to start the car and wasteing time.. i was in a hurry and need to leave asap... i will take it to tgm and get tom to have a look, i need a mot anyway.. thanks for your help

dc5ian

Advanced Member
ok cheers.. its running fine now.. very strange.. i bought a power pack just incase it does happen again.. can 5 mins of leaving the car lights on without the engine running drain the battery?

madrab

Advanced Member
sounds to me like the battery is on its way out, very similar problem to mine, 60 odd notes from halfords, you notice the difference

Zen1

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
ok cheers.. its running fine now.. very strange.. i bought a power pack just incase it does happen again.. can 5 mins of leaving the car lights on without the engine running drain the battery?
Yes, I did exactly the same myself the other day. One of my main beam lights failed last week and in trying to find the fault
i had the lights on for maybe 10-15mins without the engine running.

Turns out, moisture got into one of the electronic ballasts which i dried out and managed to get working.

Next morning....car would'nt start due to a flat battery.
It's a small capacity battery in the teg (20AmpHour) so doesn't take much to drain it.

It's been fine since jumping it with a powerpack only once.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
Zen1 said:
dc5ian said:
Yes, I did exactly the same myself the other day. One of my main beam lights failed last week and in trying to find the fault
i had the lights on for maybe 10-15mins without the engine running.

Turns out, moisture got into one of the electronic ballasts which i dried out and managed to get working.

Next morning....car would'nt start due to a flat battery.
It's a small capacity battery in the teg (20AmpHour) so doesn't take much to drain it.

It's been fine since jumping it with a powerpack only once.
ur most prob right.. just cant belive that leaving the lights on for 5 mins would do that..