Problem with gearbox!

trigger-21

Advanced Member
Hi I've got a problem with selecting 5th gear, it's as if the gear stick goes slightly past the 5th position and hits something!! Most of the time I can select it fine but it's mainly when driving it slightly fast!!

Anyone had these symptoms or anybody know what it could be?? I've looked at the gear linkage on top of gearbox and everything looked and felt fine!!!

Cheers

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Hmm if it's only 5th then it could be a selector problem, car ever fitted with a short shifter?

trigger-21

Advanced Member
No idea about short shifter! I'm goin to take out centre console see if anything wrong with the shifter cables...

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The gearboxes on these cars are pretty strong mate so I'd say it's more likely to be a cable issue rather than a 'box issue.

trigger-21

Advanced Member
The gearboxes on these cars are pretty strong mate so I'd say it's more likely to be a cable issue rather than a 'box issue.
yeah im hoping its not a box issue, dont really fancy taking it out!!!, so ill do some more digging this week to see if can find anything

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
Spoke to Luke about this today mate, he said his EP3 did the same and it was the reverse lockout that wasn't working

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
It's an electrical solenoid controlled by the ECU. Do you have kpro as there is a setting in there about it.

trigger-21

Advanced Member
It's an electrical solenoid controlled by the ECU. Do you have kpro as there is a setting in there about it.
I have Kpro ready to go in car soon as RRC arrives but until then just standard ECU!! Anything I can do now to sort it?

Cheers

Stoo

Whining.....
Going 'too far across the box' is not a clutch issue.

It could be a few things.

It suggests to me, as already mentioned, it could be a stretched selector cable, or bent rod at the end of the selector cable.

Does it happen in 5th and 6th, or just 5th?

Also, when you are driving, will the gear stick go all the way past the 5th/6th selection area as if you were going to select reverse?
If so, the reverse lock solenoid may have failed as above...

trigger-21

Advanced Member
I've only noticed the problem in 5th but will check it more thoroughly tomorrow when driving! It just goes past 5th and hits "something" don't know how else to describe it...

Stoo

Whining.....
Have a look at it going to 6th too.

When you say it goes past 5th, what do you mean exactly?

trigger-21

Advanced Member
Have a look at it going to 6th too.

When you say it goes past 5th, what do you mean exactly?
When I go to select 5th gear it feels as though the gearstick physically hits something as though I've slightly gone past where 5th is!! If I then bring it back towards say 3rd it goes in to 5th fine! It's hard to explain!!!!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Defo the reverse lock then. Try bringing stick to left ever so slightly while applying a little pressure upwards and you'll find 5th!

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I had my reverse lock fail, look under your airbox for a small plug ontop of the gearbox and make sure it's plugged in all the way, it can get knocked and stops the lock from engaging. It's some kind of speed sensor for te gearbox iirc. hopefully it could be as simple as a plug worked loose.