Problems after fitting throttle body

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've just fitted a J's Racing throttle body and since fitting it the tickover won't go below 1350rpm :? There's no more adjustment on the throttle body itself and i'm completely at a loss why this should happen. Has this happened to anyone else?

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Sounds like it might be the Air Control Valve playing up on the new throttle body....

If you still have your OEM unit.. it might be worth changing the valves over ?

That would help to elimate...

Mike

celox performance

Advanced Member
Oh :(

I've still got the OEM throttle body but I can't swap the valves over because on the new throttle body there are markings with candle wax and if I remove any screws the manufacturer will know it's been tampered with so would void the warranty.

I think i'll phone TGM tomorrow where I bought it from and see what he says.

jostrom

Advanced Member
The TB is probably a larger one. I've noticed that larger TBs need some IACV duty cycle adjustments to make it idle properly. I might also help to make the ECU learn idle again. So basicly just upload the map in again and try to raise the IACV duty cycle a bit. Uploading the map again "resets" the ECU and it learn the idle again.

jostrom

Advanced Member
Glitch said:
Cant you just adjust the throttle cable so the idle drops?
Loosening the throttle cable does not have an effect on the idle unless as long as the butterfly closes properly as it should. K20A idle is controlled by the ECU (by altering ignition advance and controlling the IACV).

jostrom

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
So basically when I get a remap that should fix it?
Yeah, ask them to adjust the idle or you can do it yourself if you have your current map. It's not difficult.

It's funny why this happens with larger TBs because at idle the only air that goes to the engine should be through the IACV. Still I've noticed this with nearly every engine that we've put a larger TB into.