Project Mu HC800 FRONT Break Pads Squealing!

yeezy

Advanced Member
Alright lads,

Has any installed the front Project MU HC800 brake pads? Ive been running these pads for over 1000 miles now, but they squeal like hell. Doesn't matter whats the weather, cold or warm, the pads squeals HARD!

I remember the mechanic has inserted the thin metal brake pad bracket, and copper grease onto the front project M pads, but sill sqeeks like mad.

A friend has mentioned to use a grease called V-tech grease to eliminate the squeal, but before I commit myself to anything, it would be nice to see if anyone had and successfully eliminate this annoying issue!.

Thank in advance guys.

Best regards

Yeezy

yeezy

Advanced Member
linh-ej9 said:
Mine has about 2000 miles on them and they also squeal but at low speed.
Yea mine squeals on low speed also. But the squalling pitch is getting higher now, and its doing my head in :(

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey man,

I don't have Project MU pads but run a similar pad in the Hawk HP+. They're both a predominantly track based pad which means they're going to squeal bad at low speeds. There's literally nothing you can do about it you know dude!

At least they'll stop better than most other pads though. lol

hoho

Advanced Member
According to the diagram on hendy performance, these pads tend to make more brake squealing noise.

yeezy

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hey man,

I don't have Project MU pads but run a similar pad in the Hawk HP+. They're both a predominantly track based pad which means they're going to squeal bad at low speeds. There's literally nothing you can do about it you know dude!

At least they'll stop better than most other pads though. lol
Hi bro,

Yeah I guess so. But 1 of the guys around my area supposedly running the same brake set up as me (Hell Break line, Mtec groove disc all round (not the best disc I know, but its what I can afford at the time lol), Project M HC800 pads, and Hell Brake fluid), but his brake doesn't squeal???

So I ask him whats the secret, and he claims that he applied "Vtec Grease" before installing. Ive checked online for this stupid named grease and found nothing haha.

But yea, stopping power has significantly improved over the standard set up. The standard set up is a joke, as I had a few near misses at donnington.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Speak to Simon at hendy performance. He is a project mu dealer.

When I spoke to him about the pads the NS400 were for fast road use. Low dust and mo squeal which suited me perfectly

The HC800 Pads are more track focused pads and do produce more dust. Which will make a squeal at low speed but should not be too bad and easily stopped by a quick stamp on brakes

If you are having a really bad squeal, that gets worse and louder I would highly suggest getting your brakes checked out.

Rom has uprated discs and hc800 pads so must also worth talking to him

Si

Parts Trader
yeezy said:
Alright lads,

Has any installed the front Project MU HC800 brake pads? Ive been running these pads for over 1000 miles now, but they squeal like hell. Doesn't matter whats the weather, cold or warm, the pads squeals HARD!

I remember the mechanic has inserted the thin metal brake pad bracket, and copper grease onto the front project M pads, but sill sqeeks like mad.

A friend has mentioned to use a grease called V-tech grease to eliminate the squeal, but before I commit myself to anything, it would be nice to see if anyone had and successfully eliminate this annoying issue!.

Thank in advance guys.

Best regards

Yeezy
Hello Yeezy

There are many factors associated with running upgraded friction material for braking system and their by-products (Noise / Dust levels)

The Project Mu HC800's are marketed as a “cross over” suitable for road and race and will have traits associated with their intended application.

I would expect an increase in noise / dust levels compared to more OEM specification pads.

It might be worth removing them completely and fully clean the surface of pads / disc with brake cleaner as there may be a build-up of fallout from the pads causing the symptoms you have mentioned.

(I have just done this when swapping over to my Winter wheels on my DC2, I run NS400 all round and these were a little noisy until I cleaned them using the above method)

It could just be the particular combination of disc / pads for your particular setup. You have not mentioned which discs you are using?

As others have posted these will be a little nosier than standard by not excessively as you have reported.

Please do keep us updated on how you go.

Regards

James

Rom

Advanced Member
You will 99% of the time get some squealing with this type of grade of pads.
Everything is a compromise. You get better braking, at the expense of more noise and dust.

It's important to figure out what type of noise you have though. A squeal at low speeds and light application, like coming to a stop at lights etc, is pretty normal. If it's very loud, or on harder application, it's probably worth looking into.

Squeal is generally caused by pad material, rather than grease etc. Though very thick grease can help in some situations. It works by cutting down any movement or vibration between the alien and the pad.

If they weren't bedded in properly, this can cause much more noise than normal. So may be worth trying go to bed them.

Oh and for reference, I run 800 front, 400 rear, mtec grooved and dimpled all round. Hel lines, Super Blue fluid.
What mtec discs you using?

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Am running OEM disc's with pmu hc800 on the front ns400 on the rear hel brake lines with millers 300 brake fliud dot 4+ and I don't have any squealing at all.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Mine squeal slightly. Only when they are stone cold or in traffic learn to use the brakes abit different to stop it but I like the squeal it reminds me of the good pads haha.
I'm running MTEC grooved only disks with mine.
Gordys are noisey too he's just abit deaf 😂