Projex (formerly Southwest Tyres) - Clevedon

ReKo

Advanced Member
Got some RE070's fitted by them today and they have taken a good 13mm chunk out of one of my wheels :xrealangry:
They had driven the car out onto the car park and it was 5:30pm by this time so I couldn't see a thing but still, I'm absolutely kicking myself for not checking the wheels before I drove off.

As far as I'm aware they have a good rep and I know Redline used to use them years ago for their staff/project cars. Their website also shows alloys/tyres for 19" and over so I'd assume they have experience for fiddly jobs (which this clearly wasn't).

Gonna go back tomorrow morning and ask them to foot the bill for a refurb.
Should be interesting...

rodney

Advanced Member
Good luck mate, I got some tyres fitted at a tyre fitting place and they treated the alloys like cack. Won't be getting my custom again, let us know how you get on.

ReKo

Advanced Member
Well in short, they're a bunch of arseholes.

The manager flat out refused to believe they did the damage and insisted their tools could not make such a mark. To add insult he them went on to say that my Teg was "just a car" and that they fit tyres for ferarris and other 'premium cars'.

Made my blood boil I'm telling you!
I'm now contemplating my next move...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm, not too nice, swt use plastic feet on their machines to prevent that as during removal they will use a lever over the foot and under the tyre to lever it off, often this presses the foot into the rim itself.
when you go to ats etc they dont usually worry with the plastic protectors so marks like this are common,

it is always more common when the weather is cold as the rubber is stiffer, thus more force is needed to get the lever in and to lever the tyre off.

i would say they caused it looking at the shape of the mark, i would consider going back and asking them to mount the wheel on the machine so you can see if the foot lines up with the damage.

it is also possible the paint already had a crack and with the little force caused it to flake off. obviously everything is more brittle when cold.

who did you speak to?

ReKo

Advanced Member
Thanks for the feedback mate. Your post was worded neutrally but to me you're just confirming my initial thoughts about them.

I'm sure I spoke to the manager as he mentioned his son and I know its a family run business. I know you've got to protect your business and everything but he looked me straight in the eye and flat out lied.

Belittling my ownership of the car didn't help. Neither did giving me attitude for turning up at 5:00 when, according to their website, they shut at 5:30.

Now he did offer a discount on my next purchase there (as if!) Which, according to him, was a goodwill gesture but to me that was basically admitting liability.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Sounds like not alot more you can do unless you make some sort of official complaint.

I would just make as many people aware as possible of thier shoddy work.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it also pays to check what has been done before you leave the place, if you had spotted it right there im sure you would have found the paint chip sitting on one of their machines.

i have used them in the past and generally they have a good name, they fit some big ass tyres to some huge wheels without too many issues, but there is alwaus something that can go wrong

whip the wheel up to TGM they will repaint it for a few quid in the right colour