pros n cons of this wheel fitment

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
after lookin at these photos im really startin to like the look now not as far as the camber but the wheels ive never thought about 18"s ever but wit this style im starting debate would i go to that size so what would you expect the pro's n con's to be with this size (18×9.5 +20 offset all round)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
although it looks cool as, something you should consider is its an rsx, they use slightly different suspension to the type r and a different offset rim from the factory as the track is not as wide so a wider wheel will be easier to fit, from memory its et45 so they already have 15mm advantage.

It would handle like a peice of shit with the tyres stretched on to the rear wheels like that , also waayyyy too low .
get some and get em fitted and do something unique.

Jammygit

Advanced Member
The rear bumper i believe is part of the Mugen lip kit, really like it myself but cant justify the price :(

As for the wheels, i really like this look but is obviously all show no go and defeats the purpose of a DC5 in my eyes.

If you wanted to achieve that look with a JDM DC5 then i think the same wheels with an offset of et45 would give a similar effect.

RSX - standard offset = 38 iirc and et20 wheel would give 18mm further out each side than standard

DC5 - standard offset = 60 and et45 wheel would give 15mm further out each side than standard
(et42 would make it the same but don't think you'll find that in those wheels)

Also taking into account it is a 9.5j wheel that adds a further 1.25" to each side of a standard wheel (7j) which is 31.75mm. So in total the outer lip would be 46.75mm further out :shock:

A lot of effort and arch rolling and maybe pulling ?

(all of this is what i think so don't take it as gospel and go and buy wheels based on what i've said) ;)

Andy.

Advanced Member
dottorfoggy said:
Front
18x9.5 +22 225/40-18
Rear
18x10.5 +22 245/40-18
I read this thread on ClubRSX and laughed heartily, what an idiot. More money than sense.

But hey, at least he's on the current bandwagon and "rockin teh low offsets, bro!!!1"

Mag Blue TE37s make my trousers moist, but that car looks terrible.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Not been on here for a while............and my word I must say there's really some SpEcIaL people on here now!!! :xconfused:

In all honesty, I would be concerned from a perspective of it actually being safe to drive with the tyres that stretched. I'm feeling a bit iffy about 235's on an 8.5 rim myself.

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
dottorfoggy said:
Front
18x9.5 +22 225/40-18
Rear
18x10.5 +22 245/40-18

THANKS FOR THIS POST!! the 5% interest i had in this look is now gone it ruins the car IMO :-& im stickin to oem

dottorfoggy

Advanced Member
never place the wheels this size [-X

I hope I have helped to get back on the straight way teggy O:)

rarerims

Not been on here for a while............and my word I must say there's really some SpEcIaL people on here now!!! :xconfused:

In all honesty, I would be concerned from a perspective of it actually being safe to drive with the tyres that stretched. I'm feeling a bit iffy about 235's on an 8.5 rim myself.

Falken for example, allow a 225 on a 9.5" rim - you'll have no issues with a 235 on an 8.5"

Without trying to start a war, how will having what appears to be a 225 on a 9.5" rim (as ive mentioned above, approved by Falken) make it handle like a POS?

The only effect that is noticable from the driving seat, is that 'stretching the tyre' stiffens sidewalls, which in some cases isnt a bad thing for handling.

To clarrify im not a fan of fitting tyres beyond manufacturers recommendations, however if its approved for use on that wheel width, and its the style you are after, then go for it.

dave c

400hp K20
i can only speak from experience regarding tyres and the 225 on a 9inch rim is fine, a tad more twitchy than on the 8inch rim but loads better than a 225 on a 7inch stock rim.

rarerims

Absolutely Dave, it just stiffens the sidewalls somewhat, with a soft walled tyre, in my opinion its beneficial, as you dont get the tyre rolling around on the rim.