Protyre Bristol - alignment

Wootty

Advanced Member
What a farce that was.....

After the smash and rebuild of the drivers front wheel I thought I'd get it all checked out proper like!

Just spent an hour in there argueing with the lad about the alignent settings on the teg.

Took the values down that Scottie had got from Dobber et al and spoke to the first guy. I said 'the rears cant be adjusted but measure them anyway so i know what they are. Then adjust the fronts so that the fall into these settings'. So first one has a look - dont think these can be adjusted mate - looking at the rear :shock: Yep I told you they cant...remember :roll:

So started on the front - 'well they are in spec except the toe in on the repaired wheel'. 'OK' I 'said then put them to the values here please'. 'Sorry mate - the computer says they cant be adjusted' Thats cos your looking up a DC2 :roll: Well yours is a Y reg. Yes thats cos its an early one July 01...OK? But its not a DC2 - its a DC5.

Then the guy started arguing with me as to why i did not believe him - and i was arguing as to why he wouldn't believe me and every other owner. Plus that Scottie had been in and they had adjusted his. "We'rnt me mate' he said... Arggghhhhh I never said it was you - just that he had been here and someone here had adjusted them for him....Arggghhhh

So he says he'll give it a go, then afte 10 mins i come back and he's taking the jigs off and lowering it down. 'Cant be done mate - cant get the top nut off'.... :roll:

In the end - gave up with them, they took it off the ramps and said nothing to pay so I drove off..

Wont go back there again :shock: :evil: :roll:

Anyone know of somehwere in the Bristol region or southwest that does laser/optical alignment.

Also I'm gonna get the rear camber adjusters and have them done at the same time. It was sitting at about -2.25degs

So am I in the worng here - cant the fronts be adjusted for camber. They would not do the toein till they'd done tha camber.

neolee40

Advanced Member
What an experience jesus. I know it's a bit far well if you fancy a drive come to TGM they are KICK ASS.. Tom has done all the work on my car and my Gf's CTR. Infact My GF just paid about £200ish for the full lazer alignment, new adjustable cambers front and rear? (need to check with her). He gets people coming down from manchester/ birmingham etc...all the time. If your gonna get it done get it done by people who know what they are doing hehe :

Hope that helps man

Give tom and ring say John sent ya. Tom's number is 01252 811972.

p.s your wheels are so NICE!!!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I dont think its possible to adjust the camber on the standard setup...well I certainly cant see where it can be done

Evs

Advanced Member
AFAIK you can't really adjust the camber on either the front or the rear with the standard setup, apart from a bit of 'slop' in the assembly that'll give you a little bit of adjustment. You need to replace the bolts on the bottom of the front strut with thinner or offset 'cam' type ones to adjust front camber. It might be possible to use aftermarket top mounts (the type that come with some coilover kits) which would give you some right-left adjustment of the top mounting point.

For the rear you can get aftermarket top arms that adjust for length (SPC, Eibach, Ingalls).

I've got coilovers with adjustable top mounts, and Ingalls rear camber adjusters. Had it set up at System-R and am very pleased with it, but that's a fair distance away (160ish miles IIRC).

Powerstation in Tewkesbury will do it - www.powerstation.org.uk - but not used them for that so can't comment. Seemed friendly, knowledgeable and helpful when I went there for a RR session though.

HTH

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Evs said:
AFAIK you can't really adjust the camber on either the front or the rear with the standard setup, apart from a bit of 'slop' in the assembly that'll give you a little bit of adjustment. You need to replace the bolts on the bottom of the front strut with thinner or offset 'cam' type ones to adjust front camber. It might be possible to use aftermarket top mounts (the type that come with some coilover kits) which would give you some right-left adjustment of the top mounting point.

For the rear you can get aftermarket top arms that adjust for length (SPC, Eibach, Ingalls).

I've got coilovers with adjustable top mounts, and Ingalls rear camber adjusters. Had it set up at System-R and am very pleased with it, but that's a fair distance away (160ish miles IIRC).

Powerstation in Tewkesbury will do it - www.powerstation.org.uk - but not used them for that so can't comment. Seemed friendly, knowledgeable and helpful when I went there for a RR session though.

HTH

I agree with Evs..

If the cars been lowered then front camber bolts will be required and rear adjustors are also advisable.

I've used Power Station in the past, and they do a good job. They also know the DC5.

Mike

Wootty

Advanced Member
So it looks like when they told Scottie that they had adjusted it - they probably hadn't done anything other then give it a tweek on the play that was in there.

Makes sense :?

From all the previous threads I was under the imperssion it could be adjusted with the standard setup. There has been a lot of talk about rear camber adjusters which i knew were needed but have never seen any comments on needing them on the front. So :roll: in the end I owe the guy an appology :shock:

Well he can go and jump, cos he aint getting one. :xak:

I'll give Powerstation a ring and see what they can do.

iDrew

Advanced Member
Wootty said:
I'll give Powerstation a ring and see what they can do.
They will sort it, they have done all of my cars, including my DC5 :D

I had Eibach camber adjustment bolt on each side at the front, I haven't got adjustable arms for the rear yet.

The print out will say DC2 though, as the DC5 is not listed on their machines :wink: But take Scottie/Dobber/et al's settings along

It will cost £60 + VAT so probably best to buy the rear arms and get them to fit those aswell, as you only have to set it up once :D

Suped

Advanced Member
I have my teg on laser alignment in battersea (mate's garage), same optical alignment system as Abbey motorsport and are f-ing expensive if u pay full price. Got the camber on -1.45degrees on both sides, toeing in 0.05degrees on the fronts and these are on standard setup. Rears are -0.30degrees cambered and 0.05degrees toeing in.

It can be done or me mate wudn't of aligned the wheels in the setup they are.

That garage must've been thick as glue!

Trikki Nikki

Have used Protyre a few times on my DC2 and the guy was great. However the last time I went. They had a different guy who as seriously arrogant. Wanted the teg set to my personal settings, and he just kept argueing with me. "Listen mate, you may think you know what your talking about but...you don't" That hacked me off :x
"Look this is my car and Im paying for it, this is what I want done. Im not asking for your opinon on, are you gonna do it or shall I get your boss to get someone who will"
He gave me a filthy look and got on with it, Then I refused to let him drive the car off the ramp (Just to be awkward :lol: ) It sounds like its the same guy, he's a complete T055ER. Usually they are quite helpfull and polite.

Wootty

Advanced Member
Trikki Nikki said:
Have used Protyre a few times on my DC2 and the guy was great. However the last time I went. They had a different guy who as seriously arrogant. Wanted the teg set to my personal settings, and he just kept argueing with me. "Listen mate, you may think you know what your talking about but...you don't" That hacked me off :x
"Look this is my car and Im paying for it, this is what I want done. Im not asking for your opinon on, are you gonna do it or shall I get your boss to get someone who will"
He gave me a filthy look and got on with it, Then I refused to let him drive the car off the ramp (Just to be awkward :lol: ) It sounds like its the same guy, he's a complete T055ER. Usually they are quite helpfull and polite.
Sounds like the same guy. He couldn't understand why I'd want it adjusted to soem value that I wanted when his machine said it was in spec - even though they were all different on each wheel. He spent 5 mins going through the menus on his machine and kept coming back to the page that said Integra Type R 98-01 DC2 and cos mine is on a Y plate he said that must be it.

Got to sort out some pennies first then get it sorted.