PS3 / 360

morgan

Advanced Member
I am assuming by the titles on the forum that the 360 is the console of choice around here rather than the PS3 ....?

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
Depends what you want ??

Games, 360, better console and Blu-Ray PS3.
Just got to wait for the games on the PS3 :(

mikegsi

Staff member
halo 3 is pap..............

i have a 360, ps and wii, the wii and ps3 spend most their time gathering dust, however my 360 and wii are modified and so i have a much larger choice of games to play, more so for the 360 however i didnt think much of halo 3 tbh

ms are releasing loads of games to flood the market on the run up to christmas, makes the 360 look more attractive, but with games like cabalas hunt, hot wheels, fatal inertia and earth defence 2017 to name a few of the poor ones there arent actually that many great games out there at the moment, dont get me wrong there are some canny ones doing teh rounds - sega rally, balzing angels 2, medal of honor airbourne to name a few

i can eventually see the ps3 coming through with better quality games, the graphics so far are better than the 360, just the choice of games is pretty limited, the wii is merely a party piece imo and not a serious gamers toy and i will prob be selling mine shortly

as fro the titles on the foeum, i asked about having a ps3 one to match the 360, but the chief is a little biast towards 360 and as yet it hasnt materialised, but its no biggy!

luffy

Advanced Member
As a complete package the 360 wins hands down (games, cost etc) apparently the ps3 is a more powerful console but I have seen many comparisons where you cannot tell the difference. I used to be a Sony fanatic and if they had bought out a console at the same time as the 360 I probably would have bought one over it, but they didn’t so most people got the 360.

sinbad

Advanced Member
at the moment i think the 360 elite is the one to go for but its steadily moving towards the ps3 as more games role out for it. I've got both consoles and personally think the ps3 has the better graphics and is more future proof.

luffy

Advanced Member
have to think though then when the ps3 "finally comes into form" which i'm sure it will.......microsoft will be in the process of a new console as the 360 is nearly 3 years old now. the elite is purley to keep it up to scratch with HD dvd. give it another few years and we'll start seeing the next steps for microsoft. Bill gates has already commented about their next console which shows that it is already in development. this was before the release of ps3!

sinbad

Advanced Member
but then the roles will be reversed and its going to take the new microsoft console a year or so for that to catch up to the ps3.

Its also looking like Blu-ray is winning the battle with HD-dvds too...

luffy

Advanced Member
blu-ray is the next mini disc. Great for a year or so but then you won't find them in your local hmv, same as UMD disc

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
Same as beta max, better format, no following.

However if talk of the £200 40GB PS3 are true..............

luffy said:
blu-ray is the next mini disc. Great for a year or so but then you won't find them in your local hmv, same as UMD disc

glen8

The HD war is far from over

Blu-Ray looked like the outright winner just before the summer but now Paramount have moved over to HD it's again anyones for the taking

as a games machines the xbox360 is far FAR ahead....better titles, better graphics, better online play, better hardware usage and a far superior development kit

as a piece of hardware the ps3 is simply superb. You'll not find a better upscaling dvd player or blu-ray player sub £1000 and the device is near silent.

If rumors are to be believed and the next xbox revision after the falcon gets equipped with a 65nm gpu and internal hd-dvd player then things could look VERY rosey for Toshiba and Microsoft........2009 will see a 45nm fabrication process ship which will mean a much smaller console with near silent running (and cheaper)

morgan

Advanced Member
£299 I think is the rumour PS3 40GB cutdown. No confirmation yet though.

I do think the consoles thing is interesting - people are very fiercely divided, its usually a real polar thing...

Dont agree blu-ray is the next UMD or beta. Key differences.
UMD has not 'failed' - it is the media used for PSP games. As a movie format, clearly it was doomed from the start, but as a media format its fine.

Beta provides a more interesting compare - VHS/Beta were competing in a market where there was something genuinely new, and there was demand. The hi-def thing (bluray/HD-dvd) is driven by the manufacturers - the public dont actually (en masse) want hi-def players yet... They are quite happy with DVDs. Truth is an upscaling DVD player looks about the same anyway.

Sony have bet the farm on having the best quality hardware, the highest specs, a next-gen format in an expensive box. In other words they have backed hardware.

MS have backed software. A lower spec machine, less standard features (the wireless, the bluray etc) and of course lower build quality. (check the failure rates and red-ring-of-death !) What they do have is a powerful machine that is cheap(ish) and some software to die for.

Nintendo of course have backed a novelty controller. Is it a fad ? Probably. Has it engaged non-gamers ? yes. Ultimately it does not matter - the wii is making money on every box.

For the record I had a 360, sold it for a PS3. Dont have a wii.
The PS3 is physically and quality superior in every way to the 360 (IMHO). I do look very enviously at the MS software library though... Sony have a big problem on their hands and MUST deliver something soon...

Amen.

kingston

Advanced Member
glen8 said:
as a games machines the xbox360 is far FAR ahead....better titles, better graphics, better online play, better hardware usage and a far superior development kit
buy a better tv

sinbad

Advanced Member
Like i say, i have both my xbox and ps3 hooked upto my 32" LCD and i think the PS3 looks the best...

glen8

No chance, this argument was put to bed months ago

Future PS3 titles may change my opinion, but at the minute on a like for like basis I'd stick with the xbox

I have both consoles so am not biased in anyway, and have also had the pleasure of owning numerous LCDs and Plasma displays.

This is my opinion of course

kingston

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
He doesn't need a better one mate :lol:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th ... /index.htm

Lucky get, though I'd personally go for a LCD over plasma...
New Sony X Series and Samsung F86's are due to come out soon whilst id go for a Pioneer if i was going for a plasma.

Think i might go for the LE46F86 when its released though with the reported issues people are having i may get the x3500 in 40"

mikegsi

Staff member
here we gan, the two biggest 'arguements' in one thread..........

360 v ps3

plasmay v lcd

chamoane.......... :wink:

anyhow, i'll give a review of pgr4 later as i have managed to get hold of my copy a little early, then i can start a pgr4 v forza 2 v dirt v juiced 2 v gt hd v gt5 thread :roll: :wink: :D

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
kingston said:
milano_chris said:
He doesn't need a better one mate :lol:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th ... /index.htm

Lucky get, though I'd personally go for a LCD over plasma...
New Sony X Series and Samsung F86's are due to come out soon whilst id go for a Pioneer if i was going for a plasma.

Think i might go for the LE46F86 when its released though with the reported issues people are having i may get the x3500 in 40"
I won't be getting any. All I'll have is a BenQ 24" HDMI widescreen monitor for my PC and run everything through that. Only thing that interests me about consoles is games like Forza, apart from that, PC every day for me. My personal preference, and I'm not saying PC is better for games etc so please no one tell me that I'm in the wrong etc!