PS3 / 360

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
morgan said:
I am assuming by the titles on the forum that the 360 is the console of choice around here rather than the PS3 ....?

Just wondering. Was ur Q'. Who's got a PS2/X-pant's.

Or Wots better, Obviously more folk have the X.

But i just want to clarify your Q.?

JohnnyC

morgan said:
£299 I think is the rumour PS3 40GB cutdown. No confirmation yet though.
Yep, £299 is more likely, certainly not £200.
And if there's any truth in the rumours, the new model won't be backward compatible with PS2 games.

Already listed on Play.com
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStati...tion-3-PS3-Console-With-40GB-HDD/Product.html
It's changed though, yesterday it mentioned 40gb HDD (now it's just in the link url) and no PS2 compatibility.

Sony have great potential to win the Betamax/VHS war, oops I mean Bluray/HD-DVD with placing millions of Bluray players (PS3) into peoples homes. Who's going to spend hundreds on an HD-DVD player when they've got a PS3 ?
However, it's not going to happen cos noone is buying the PS3 - they really need to drop the price (yes, it's expensive to manufacture, but they need to sell at a loss to reap the Bluray revenue), and I think next year will already be too late.

morgan

Advanced Member
JohnnyC said:
And if there's any truth in the rumours, the new model won't be backward compatible with PS2 games.
Yeah - I heard that. Thats really odd - I thought the PAL models had the emulation done in SW anyway ? (unlike the US/Jap ones that got HW in the early runs). Point is stripping out backwards saves nothing. In fact it is hard to see what they can strip.
HD ? Nah - 60GB/40GB will save next to nothing. Its just an easy marketing justification.
Drop the card reader ports ? Save about £1.
Blu-ray ? Cannot drop it, and thats the most expensive bit...

Really tough to see how they will make it cheaper, So I guess they are just going to swallow the cost and drop a 40GB in for marketing purposes...

Should be interesting.

PS - This opinion of 'they have not sold any' is one I have heard before. I think they have done ~5M now (and its been out less that half the time of the 360). The numbers seem about right to me... There was a graph kicking about somewhere.

luffy

Advanced Member
i think sony have left it too late..... bad decision to put blu-ray in the console. They should have made it an ad on like xbox have done with the hd player. if they had done this they would have sold lots and lots of ps3's as the price would be much cheaper and then later on they could have pushed blu-ray. Quite exciting to see what will happen though, sony have lost a lot of money on the ps3!

Allen

Advanced Member
Ive always had playstation but got bored of waiting for the PS3 so got a 360. Went to part X my 360 for PS3 in Game and they talked me out of it. They all seem to think the PS3 was a big let down? :?

morgan

Advanced Member
I did the same. Waited and waited. Got bored. Got 360. Flogged 360. Bought PS3. Now waiting for games.
The launch F1 game was *brilliant* , and oblivion is cool (but that is on 360 too anyway)

Awesome HW. Need something for it to do now.... (In the meantime I have missed bioshock, forza2 etc) :(

mikegsi

Staff member
didnt enjoy bioshock, got bored with the repetitiveness shoot, hit, shoot, hit, shoot, hit............ forza was good though, but now there's plenty else out there, pgr4 isnt brill but its good enough for now, at least till gt5 arrives on the ps3

good games at teh mo on ps3 (as well as 360) are stuntman and stranglehold, played fifa on the 360 and though the graphics are way better than pro evo, i think im gonna prefer pro evo on the gameplay....

20Drift

Members
Staff member
i think it's also depend on what console your friends got & what kind of game you wanna play. most of my friends have got the xbox360 & i prefer shooting & football games so the xbox is the only choice if i wanna play with my mates...

luffy

Advanced Member
andre said:
i think it's also depend on what console your friends got & what kind of game you wanna play. most of my friends have got the xbox360 & i prefer shooting & football games so the xbox is the only choice if i wanna play with my mates...
thats a good point, most people want what there mates have, most people have 360's and thats why sony is finding it hard

jay82

Advanced Member
the playstation 3 games are regin free, the x-box360 aren't. i've 2 brothers working in a place where they make the games and they turn me off the 360 and they have 6 consoles in there for testing games, they told me they freeze alot?