pulls to right under light acceleration

Mikwwt

my dc5 pulls to the right under mild acceleration. I would accept a degree of torque steer under hard acceleration but this happens with a mild application of the throttle a in 6th gear at modest speeds.softening the coilovers to softest setting has eased the problem a little. Its sufficient for me to change lanes on a dual carriageway without touching the steering. release the throttle and it veers to the left. I've had a mechanic take a look for any obvious wear/damage in bushes, engine mounts etc and nothing seems out of order. could this be an alignment problem? i have another issue which i've posted in engine tech so if anyone knows of an outfit that really knows dc5s i'd be prepared to take it to them to get both problems analysed. (preferably in midlands mid wales region but I would be prepared to travel)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
These cars are so susceptible to small changes it‘s unreal,...off tyres, uneven pressures, bad tracking are all things to check / change first. Especially odd or worn tyres if that is the case.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
if anyone knows of an outfit that really knows dc5s i'd be prepared to take it to them to get both problems analysed. (preferably in midlands mid wales region but I would be prepared to travel)
[/quote]

It's a long way but TGM Sport in Fleet are well worth it imo, or call them up and speak to Tom he may be able to advise on things if you're still struggling to find the issues/causes etc.

But could be tracking, tyres etc as said or camber in the road, do you have any pretty much perfectly straight roads to retry it on at higher and lower speeds and under braking etc?

Snowbeard

could be radial pull from one of the tyres.

had them changed recently?

I had a brand new hankook a few months ago with a factory fault, this caused radial tyre pull bad enough to change lanes on acceleration.

easiest way to tell - swap the front tyres across the axle, if it pulls the other way, its one of the tyres.

Mikwwt

Thanks for all these ideas. I think I will arrange a proper alignment check first. tyres themselves are not showing abnormal wear (rainsports) and on a flat straight road as long as i keep a steady speed the car runs straight and true. tap the throttle though and off it goes to the right which is why it feels like torque effect. i assume the shorter drive shaft is on the drivers side? can anyone tell me what honda did to reduce torque steer effects on these cars? I haven't formally checked the lsd but round corners it seems to be working although as this is a road only car i haven't gone too bonkers round the bends. it is susceptible to road surface variations though such as white lines but on a car with firm suspension that doesn't surprise me.. i'll post when i find out what the issue is.

Snowbeard

Just for reference, standard springs/shocks/tyres/wheels here, and a recent alignment.

Mine only torque steers when i'm driving like a loon, in every day driving it is straight as an arrow....so something is amiss there.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I had this.. ended up changing bushes and suspension fully aligned.. then found it was uneven tyre wear causk g the car to see a size difference in the wheels and pulling me via the diff.
The steering wheel didnt move just the car pulled to the left or right depening where i had the tyres fitted

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I had this.. ended up changing bushes and suspension fully aligned.. then found it was uneven tyre wear causk g the car to see a size difference in the wheels and pulling me via the diff.
The steering wheel didnt move just the car pulled to the left or right depending where i had the tyres fitted

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
The steering wheel didnt move just the car pulled to the left or right depending where i had the tyres fitted

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member

Parry

Advanced Member
I had a similar thing with rainsports as had a new rainsport 2 on one side and a 3 on the other across the front. Fitted them and put the old to rear, went down the road and under any kind of acceleration would pull drastically to the n/s. So swooped to rear as the only thing I had done was fit the 2 rainsports to front and old to rear with no issues previously. Swopped the new to the rear and old back to the front and it disappeared.

Mikwwt

The tyres are not showing any sign of uneven wear and probably be the last thing I'll change as there is plenty of tread on them but it's interesting to note how sensitive these cars are to subtle changes. I also note that mine pulls to the right whereas Parry' s pulled to left. I'm not very technically minded but I I think if the issue is a torque steer effect then the car should pull to the side of the shorter half shaft?. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. For various reasons I still haven't managed to get the car looked at properly yet. (Not least the weather)

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Mine done this the other day again due to uneven pressures in the tyres. Can pull either direction depending on the way the uneveness is.. when i swapped wheels side to side the issue flilled sides

Steve95

any news on your pulling to the right? Mine is doing exactly the same and its going on Friday for an alignment, hopefully that will cure it!

Mikwwt

Taken a long time to get to this point, thanks to all who posted, finally got alignment checked. Nothing major reported but it seems to be better now but not perfect. I'm happy enough with it as it is and I think that the after market suspension set up (good quality coilovers) may be having some effect. Upside of that is that the handling is sensational. Must admit that since I don't Track this car and I keep my road driving with enough margin to spare for the tractor coming round the bend I'd probably be happy with factory suspension set up.