Purchasing a dc5 really soon deposit is down, does anyone know this car?

ShoryuKEN

Recently sold my heavily modded fn2 with much regret but decided to now try a dc5.Visited a dealer today and fell in love with the dc5 I came for. Almost immaculate with really tasty looking mods just how I wanted. Car was imported 2007 but has no solid service history apart from all MOT's although the car seemed in top shape mechanically during the test drive where I gave it the beans. ABS light came on randomly while driving it hard and the dealer stated he'd never seen that happen before but gave me the guarantee he'd get that looked at and sorted at the garage before I collect the car he was a decent chap and very honest not the dirty type to get a bulb removed. The car hasn't a single scratch on her which was nice. Dealer is offering warranty with the purchase too. The car has also evidently spent time in Ireland as there were irish MOT certificates in the records.

Performance mods from what I can see is GruppeM intake, spoon n1 backbox + spoon manifold (apparently, but wouldn't know for sure), ignition, hoses, coilovers, defi water temp guage + more I can't remember right now. I didn't remember to check for kpro or k100 under the glove box but VTEC would kick in at about 4800-5000 rpm range iirc so definitely was not stock point. Would the car definitely have k100 or kpro at least? Also, Does anyone know this car or it's history or if the previous owners are on here? I would love to know more about it and what's been done to it exactly. I hope it's nothing but good news as I really want this example and have searched long and hard for one this clean and with supporting mods. Dealer wasn't very clued up on modification details as expected.

C pack,
Plate is: YL53AJO
mileage: 70k

the car:

more at: http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Tr1V1uM/library/fn2/dc5?sort=3&page=1

ckh

Advanced Member
i was going to buy this car good few years ago when it was in Ireland but ended up didn't go for it...back this it hand a mugen front bumper and same bits

about 4-5 months my friend was interested in buying this car and the car was in Birmingham and i went along to help him have a look, but we didn't go for it in the end for the following reasons:

"Owner" didn't have logbook
"owner" had tow trucks / recovery service running from home and they didn't even looked they lived there
All the so call "Honda" history didn't not match up at all even had stamps when the car wasn't in the UK and all brand new service book with all stamps and handwriting exactly the same...
The car also had basically no paperwork/ history from what we could see

So after that we just walked away..... :xtsk: :xtsk:

ShoryuKEN

ckh said:
i was going to buy this car good few years ago when it was in Ireland but ended up didn't go for it...back this it hand a mugen front bumper and same bits

about 4-5 months my friend was interested in buying this car and the car was in Birmingham and i went along to help him have a look, but we didn't go for it in the end for the following reasons:

"Owner" didn't have logbook
"owner" had tow trucks / recovery service running from home and they didn't even looked they lived there
All the so call "Honda" history didn't not match up at all even had stamps when the car wasn't in the UK and all brand new service book with all stamps and handwriting exactly the same...
The car also had basically no paperwork/ history from what we could see

So after that we just walked away..... :xtsk: :xtsk:
it is apparent the car has no real history or evidence of servicing although that hasn't stopped me wanting the car after examining it's condition and giving it a thorough test drive there doesn't seem to be a single thing wrong with it and i've driven a lot of type R's so I've come to learn which ones show signs of problems, this car was not one of those however. I still have to think about whether I will go for it or not but compared to other dc5's i've seen out there for a similar price, it has impressed me the most........the paperwork is terrible but the car itself is quite a gem to look at and drive, It's unfortunate really the paperwork letting the car down

Billy's type r

Advanced Member
Also it was sold for alot less what the dealer is asking for. I believe that the previous owner was asking for £6,000 mark. You have to ask yourself, later on if you do decide to sell without the correct paperwork would it be a headache? My opionion is pal, if you saved hard for your money spend it wisely and well. I hoped I helped.

ShoryuKEN

Billy's type r said:
Also it was sold for alot less what the dealer is asking for. I believe that the previous owner was asking for £6,000 mark. You have to ask yourself, later on if you do decide to sell without the correct paperwork would it be a headache? My opionion is pal, if you saved hard for your money spend it wisely and well. I hoped I helped.
ye the only thing bothering me was this, i've haggled the dealer down to £8k and he won't accept any lower although he is giving warranty with the car. Paperwork is just pieces of paper at the end of the day, service history records can also be easily forged and so don't necessarily prove a car is well looked after these days. I've met with many cars with full service history records that are complete shitters to take out on a drive, this car is actually very solid and meticulously maintained thats why I'd hate to pass it up especially with the mods done to it's exactly what i've been looking for. The only downside here is the lack of history which inevitably puts many buyers off, i'm not worried about the car itself, just it's resale value when it comes to me wanting to sell it in years to come.

I was thinking to grab the car anyway but build a good history with it in my hands, maybe get it serviced at honda 2 or 3 times (if i keep it that long) to get those honda service history stamps and at least salvage some value and respect for it's records. The car speaks for itself when you see it in person and take it for a ride, it just doesn't look good on advert stating 'no service history records'. When you see it and drive it in person you realise it's been very looked after. It's one of the cleanest dc5's i've ever come across and to be honest there's not many clean examples left out there considering the age of these cars, they are poor on average..........decisions

integraleo

Advanced Member
You also have to consider if the last owner sold it for 6000 and the dealer won't accept less than 8000 it might be worthwhile looking a bit longer for everything you want for a reasonable price

ShoryuKEN

Mark_teg said:
Not many clean examples??! You should've come to japfest, there was about 50 of them! :p
i've always said the example that come to events like japfest will of course be presented clean, show cars gather there the whole point is to have a clean ride or theres no point really showing it off. I'm just saying on average dc5's out there are not what you would consider clean same way ep's of the same age are not really clean either.......dc5's being jdm though I can imagine people will cherish and try to take care of more but age is still age to be fair

Billy's type r

Advanced Member
Im sorry about the rant Guys and Girls.It just makes my blood boil when people buy a dc5 and pretend that they are going to take care of it and keep it. And then we find out that its back on certain websites with a huge price tag from a car trader. But anyway that's another thread debate.

integraleo

Advanced Member
My car was on stand at japfest and yes it's very clean due to some fresh paint,bucket load of money and hard work....but it ain't no show car! It's used every day to go work,shopping,picking my son up from school and so on. A clean example of a dc5 is just someone that takes care of it,I'm like this with all my cars not just my tegs.

Rom

Advanced Member
Of the 370 ish DC5 in the UK, id imagine most are quite tidy surely ? There will be some dogs, but i think anyone who buys these has some respect for what it is, and wants to look after it ?

Id be asking why it sold for £6k if its so perfect (im not knocking the previous owner, or its condition).

But you are quite right, in history not meaning much. You have to remember, every car came from Japan, most probably with no, or very little history.
If its as good as you say, and you can overlook the history, it sounds like its worth a punt.

ShoryuKEN

Rom said:
Of the 370 ish DC5 in the UK, id imagine most are quite tidy surely ? There will be some dogs, but i think anyone who buys these has some respect for what it is, and wants to look after it ?

Id be asking why it sold for £6k if its so perfect (im not knocking the previous owner, or its condition).

But you are quite right, in history not meaning much. You have to remember, every car came from Japan, most probably with no, or very little history.
If its as good as you say, and you can overlook the history, it sounds like its worth a punt.
aye, imports are not commonly big on history and paperwork to back them up you more or less get what you see. If it's visually and evidently poor during your test drive that's more of a reason to stay away than the absence or lack of bits of paper that really may or may not mean anything. Like i've said, i've had cars with full service history recorded that turn out to be a nightmare on wheels and then cars with hardly any records at all that turn out to be self maintained gems. Again, it's not the health of this car i'm worried about, it's the resale value because of lack of paperwork thats all. Anyone who keeps a dc5 this clean is surely taking care of it, anyone who invests in a dc5 i'm sure tries their best to take care of it anyway, there's no such thing as a non-enthusiast that will fetch a JDM import, not that i've seen anyway.

About it being sold off for £6k, it seems from the for sale thread that the previous owner just got extremely desperate and time was more valuable than waiting around to make another grand or 2 on the car, he needed a deposit down for his new home. To be honest, if anyone knew how much a dealer paid to purchase the car they are selling you, they would be put off every time, it's always the case no matter what car your buying for any dealer they have to rip you off to run they're business. Tradesmen do this all the time, they find all their cars for cheap off desperate people that require a quick sale and take advantage of that, anything that will allow them to make a decent turnover but it never means the car is a bad car.

It happened to me with my 2007 Fn2 Type R. I sold her to the first person that came to view and I sold her cheap. I'd spent thousands on her. spec:- full honda service history, mugen kit all over, HKS RSK, custom exhaust system, 19'' alloys, tegiwa carbon fibre vented bonnet, remap and near enough perfect condition inside and out. sold her Just barely over £7k, the guy turned out to be a tradesman go figure.......the car will surely be resold for at least £9k I imagine.

bennn

Advanced Member
If its resale you are worried about I'd steer clear.

I think the kit puts a lot of people off let alone the lack of paper work.

Up to you but I wouldn't bother. £8k should get you a very nice DC5 without the stupid bumpers and a stack of history.

The reason it went for £6k is because at the time no one wanted to buy it.

If its what you want then by all means go for it, but as I say if its resale bothering you get a nice clean, standard one with a good history and keep it that way.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
£8k would get you a really fine Integra as a fresh import from Japan...you`d probably have to wait around 3 months to get one imported(unless any dealer has stock on the way) but you`d be the 1st UK owner and could mod it to your spec as you go

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
HAHA @WKZ12 it has reappeared!

As said this car lived in Northern Ireland in a seaside town called Ballycastle where a couple owned it, we went to look at it when it was for sale over here for far far too much lol, it had overspray EVERY|WHERE as it had just been painted by the owners mate in a shed. hence no type R sticker, does it still have the one on the drivers side?

Car at one stage of it's life was well cared for but I wouldn't touch it now, it also had a DC2 spoiler the last time we looked at it.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Nickyyy said:
HAHA @WKZ12 it has reappeared!

As said this car lived in Northern Ireland in a seaside town called Ballycastle where a couple owned it, we went to look at it when it was for sale over here for far far too much lol, it had overspray EVERY|WHERE as it had just been painted by the owners mate in a shed. hence no type R sticker, does it still have the one on the drivers side?

Car at one stage of it's life was well cared for but I wouldn't touch it now, it also had a DC2 spoiler the last time we looked at it.
It still does have a DC2 spoiler according to that top picture...

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Oh yeah you're right it does!

Check to see if there's still the type r sticker on the drivers side