Quick review of Dixcel discs and pads...

celox performance

Advanced Member
After driving over 300 road miles and after 1 trackday at Donnington on Monday I have a quick review of the Dixcel slotted and heat treated discs with the R-01 carbon pads.......

Well I have to say the disc/pad combination exceeded my expectations :) . I've done over 300 road miles with these discs and pads, and for road use these brakes are terrific and give a high initial bite and consistent braking-everytime :) . They don't need heating up to give better braking than OEM.

After the first 20 minute session at Donnington the brakes were well bedded in. During the bedding in process the pedal was firm to begin with and then towards the end of the session the pedal began to sink gradually to about half way, which is normal when bedding brakes in on track for several laps. After about 40 minutes once they had cooled down the brakes were once again strong and for the next 3-4 x 20 minute sessions the brakes were consistent with no fade at all or judder.

I would like to point out that I don't sell the Dixcel discs or pads so have nothing to gain from this review, but I am so impressed with them I thought I would share my thoughts with other forum members.

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Thanks for the review Adam, have to say the R01 pad actually only work from 200 degrees as they are pure carbon race pad and it has the lowest initial braking power compare to our Type M or Z pad but still when they are cold they do give a little more braking power than OEM pad.

celox performance

Advanced Member
Yes the pedal is right at the very top even from cold :) . Where I live we get cats & dogs running across from the woods all the time. I was doing 30-35bhp when a cat ran out right in front of me so I had to do an emergency stop with cold brakes. They stopped me instantly and nearly threw my GF through the window :eek: . If there had been any cars behind me they would have ended up in the rear seats :lol:

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Mmm thats weird, the R01 shouldn't give that much braking power?? are you using it with Slot or Plain disk?

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Oh thats why, the R01 should only use with Plain disk because they will give way too much braking power if you use with the Slotted disk. It will become very hard to control as its like On/Off brake, when you wear out this set, try with the Plain disk next time it will be so much easier for you to control and will be more progressive. ;)

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Yeah it gonna be less aggressive and you will have a longer pad and disk life as well. The setup you have got now, is more than enough to run Full slick.

JT3173

Advanced Member
They sound very good indeed. What is the price for this setup?

It would be good to compare them against the PaulG ones which I have on, they are superb too.

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
The setup Adam's got is too hardcore for road tyres or even semi slick, they are design for full slick racing use.

For track day and road use I would suggest the following, they are more user friendly but still give you crazy amount of braking power -

Front slot - £230
Front Type Z carbon pad - £155

cheers

Dixon

JT3173

Advanced Member
They are very well priced then! And what is the cost supposing I wanted to venture onto full slicks at some point later in the year for a track day or two?

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I was in the car with Adam at Donny and I couldn't believe how good the brakes were I felt like I was going to get thrown through the windscreen. Lap after lap too they just kept performing.

Get some pics of the A048s Adam I want to see how close to death I was :lol:

brucey87

Advanced Member
i have the slotted discs and z pads and they do the job very well. i had 15 mins of track time at donny on sunday and i noticed in the last few laps when i slammed the brakes it would judder but i had no fade at all. when i finished and pulled into the pits the discs where steaming! is that normal?

celox performance

Advanced Member
I'm waiting for my mate who took the pics to email me the photos. They weren't that bad, except for the 3 rips across the cord on the inside of one of the rear tyres :eek: :lol:

The tread patern had completely melted on the 2 rears (which were nearly new tyres :xcry: ) but the 2 fronts were fine.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
The tread patern had completely melted on the 2 rears (which were nearly new tyres :xcry: ) but the 2 fronts were fine.
Are you sure your mate didn't take some pics of my T1-Rs by mistake? :wink: :lol:

I still have a bit of a soggy pedal, I guess I didn't get all the air out after all and some track temp action exacerbated it. Either that, or all those people who praise the Paul G discs/1144 pads/SRF fluid combo are liars! :wink:

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
brucey87 said:
i have the slotted discs and z pads and they do the job very well. i had 15 mins of track time at donny on sunday and i noticed in the last few laps when i slammed the brakes it would judder but i had no fade at all. when i finished and pulled into the pits the discs where steaming! is that normal?

Sounds like you didn't bed in your disk and pad properly, you need to bed them in first before you go to track and the only way to bed them in is Brake as hard as you can from 100mph-10mph for 8-10 times, so the pad deposit can sit evenly on the disk. The judder you were getting was from the uneven deposit on the disk, smoking is normal with new pad they have soft surface compound so they can melt onto the disk.

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
They are very well priced then! And what is the cost supposing I wanted to venture onto full slicks at some point later in the year for a track day or two?

With the normal slot disk and Z pad they are already good enough for full slick, only suggest R01 pad if you are planning to race with your car

Here is Adams setup -

Front heat treated slotted disk - £380
Front R01 pure carbon pad - £180

Dixon

tron2k3

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
celox performance said:
Are you sure your mate didn't take some pics of my T1-Rs by mistake? :wink: :lol:

I still have a bit of a soggy pedal, I guess I didn't get all the air out after all and some track temp action exacerbated it. Either that, or all those people who praise the Paul G discs/1144 pads/SRF fluid combo are liars! :wink:
I warn you about using T1Rs on track :lol: Though it seems that the A048s aren't upto the job either :-k probably due to the 2million degree camber Adam was running :lol:

We should have put your car up against Adams on the pit straight to see how the Paul Gs compared to the Dixcels #-o

Paul G

Members
JT3173 said:
Hi James

sorry to cut in on your post.....Remember the 2 piece discs your running are upto full slicks no probs & racing as well if you wt to :wink:

It's just the pads you'll need to upgrade, to F4R's.

There would be no point in comparing 1144 pads with Dixcel race pads, you'd need to do that with the F4's....Also rem it's not just the cost to buy the pads/discs but how long they last to take into account as well.

Hope you dont mind me cutting in - trying to save you some ££££ :wink: :)

Paul.