r888 v a048

mikegsi

Staff member
after buying some 15" td wheels off mike on here im wanting to put semi slicks on them for trackday and poss 1/4 mile use

888's are around £60 per corner, a048's a little less (think it was about £40 per corner)

i will only really be using them for track/miling and probably driving to and from my local circuit

am i as wise to stick with 888's (had them before and happy with them) or for the sake of around £80 altogether go for the A048's? (never used them dont know what they're like)

thinking on it could be a539's not 048's

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
stick with 888's, speak to toyo tech about correct pressures tho, as they are higher than usual

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
A048 is next level up to the 888, it worth every penny.

The A048 don't need to warm up as long like the 888 to get maximum grip and Toyo usually get overheat and losing grip after 10-12 laps but even with Soft compound A048 you can push and push until the tyres finish. We did testing at Rockingham in the hot summer with Soft A048, been pushing it for 45mins non stop and never had any problems.

When I did testing with 888 and also with the Buddyclub DC5 they are using 888 as well, none of us are happy with their performance after using the 048, the grip level is different.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well i loved the r888's on my teg and used them as everyday tyres, they need to be put through heat cycles when new to ensure the best wear out of them and the pressures needed to be higher than usual to prevent the only lasting 10-12 minutes comments from people, i was able to stay out until my tank was empty with no worries,

if you want lifespan then thr toyos will last longer, you could also consider the dunlops they are great tyres too, my only concern with 15's is the bigish profile you need to run so as not to upset the geo on a car designed to run 17"s

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I can only comment on R888's.....

I have found these on my Civic EK4, a very good tyre on track Mike.

It has helped me, as I've has some tech support for head of Toyo Motorsport though :D

The first of fronts done 4 trackdays, and covered approx 700 track miles... and that's with hard driving and 20 min sessions. During this time, I felt no tyre degrade or over heating.

Like Si has said, you need to run the correct pressure, also not a wild camber setting etc etc... my Civic runs -2 degs tops... (just by chance, that's what the chap at toyo adviced)..

Si, a few peeps run 15" alloys on EP3 / DC5's... with no ill effects... a few years back when I helped out with Synchro Motorsport, their Production spec EP3 BTTC cars ran 15" TD alloys.

HTH

Mike

jamesn

the only thing i find racing on 888s instead of 48s is if u push to hard and overheat them they struggle to recover where as the 48s come back saying this i raced mostely on r 888s and no problems was only getting 2 metings from them tho. also try cut r888 for the wet they are awsome a lot better that a road rain tyre hope this helps

james

mikegsi

Staff member
just waiting on a mate getting back to me to confirm prices, chances are i'll stick with 888's and just run them on a higher pressure as advised

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
By the way we have 12 A048 in stock all in 205/50/15 size in either Medium and soft compound. We are selling it for just £85 each at the moment.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've been using both, both on the road and track for the last 2 years and I do prefer the A048's on track. I find they do need more warming up than the R888's but they don't go off as quick. I also find they don't chew up as much. I'll be sticking with the A048's this year and I won't be changing back to the R888's for the forseeable future.

If I was only going to use them on the road then I would use the R888's which give better wet weather grip and don't need as much warming up.