Race Header on DC5R? what works?

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Ok guys, I have a friend who is tracking a DC5R here in the states and is looking into getting a race header to eliminate the bottle neck that is caused by the cat and smaller diamater header.

Now I was curious as to what you guys run?
DC sports Race Header
Buddy Club
Toda
Mugen

Also if you do run one of these headers or another header can you help me out and list which header and what gains you gained from it?

I've tried searching and I cant find anything, and the US sites regarding the K20A are not very helpful as there are very few DC5R and any k20a is usually swapped into another car so a custom header was always made.

I appreciate any info you can give me guys.

mikegsi

Staff member
all the above are used on our tegs here, the most popular being the toda and spoon manifolds.

toda is generally regarded to be the better system in terms of gain, but as it is a 4-2-1 system it eliminates the cat which causes us problems at our yearly mot time (legal required roadworthyness tests), the spoon system gives slightly less gains, but as a 4-2, 2-1 system the 2-1 can be easily removed and the cat put back in for mot time.

the dc sports system is less than half price of the toda, and the gains reflect this

webbie on here has a buddy club mani and im sure ive seen a few mugen ones kicking about

f1nal zeros said:
I've tried searching and I cant find anything
there is a whole section dedicated to exhaust and intakes, ALL the info on them will be in there! :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
forgot to mention also, if your planning on a race manifold, you really need to fit either an engine dampener or engine mount inserts otherwise you may have problems with the mani cracking due to engine movement.

when coupled with a non standard air intake the engine will run lean too, an updated ecu (k-pro or similar) will also help reduce engine wear and get the best benefits from your setup

but pls do use the search function, it is all covered :D

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Very much appreciated Mikegsi.
I run a type S down here in Arizona and track the hell out of it so my knowledge on a type S is good, but when it comes to fitment of certain parts on to a DC5R I know some problems might occur due to fitment and space issues regarding the sway bar and such so I wanted to ask the local uk ITR guys what they run.

I wasnt sure if the DC race headers which are used on the RSX type S would fit a DC5R without any sway bar clearance issues.

I will let my friend know about the choices available for him and also what header you guys think would be better.

Oh also this DC5R is the one raced by Ksport here in Arizona. I will let him know the www.itr-dc5.co.uk forum helped him out. :)

mikegsi

Staff member
always happy to help mate!

.com works better than .co.uk too mate :wink: :D

im not 100% sure about the rsx fitment onto jdm, a lot of the items will fit, but from memory i think exhausts are a different diameter, it may be worth checking before purchasing, getting jdm parts shouldnt be too much of a problem though, other than shipping costs :wink:

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
The header will be put into a DC5R, not the rsx type S. sorry for the confusion. :)

Thanks mike for all the information.

corbie

Advanced Member
For the cost of the Toda are you not better off Speaking to Hytech. From what I know they are supposed to be excellent at there exhaust's and headers.

It’s what I would do if I was state side.

No probs with fitment of Dc sports with the JDM Anti Roll bar.

mikegsi

Staff member
f1nal zeros said:
Also mikegsi, can you provide a link to the race header thread?
Thank you.
had a bit of a trawl through mate, and although there are plenty of posts about the different manifolds available, they mainly seem to concentrate on toda and spoon ones

other than a post by evs there is no real definitive answer for your question mate, but as before, the results evs posted showed over 10bhp difference between the toda and spoon mani (in favour of the toda)

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Thanks mike, I looked as well and thought I was going crazy or blind for not seeing anything.

My friend was looking into either the DC sports Race header, or SSR.
Well my main concern was if it would clear the ITR sway bar and not have any clearance issues, but by the posts made it seems both will clear the bar.

Much appreciated everyone, he will more then likely pick up the SSR header today. There is one locally for cheap. :)

Wootty

Advanced Member
I've got a Jackson Racing Header (exhaust I presume your taking about) and they should be easily available over the pond there. It clears everything in the bay and picks up OK with the std or aftermarket B-pipes.

There are some threads in the dyno section in the Gallery area which show my before and afters - but its coupled with a JRSC so the absolute gains are different. The thread also covers other peoples gains with headers and exhausts.

Hope that Helps :lol:

IPS-DC5

f1nal zeros said:
Much appreciated everyone, he will more then likely pick up the SSR header today. There is one locally for cheap. :)
Make sure it is for a K20 in a DC5. Cause they also make one for a K24 in a DC5. They also make a test pipe so you can use the stock exhaust or direct replacement.

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
The one that is available locally was from an EP3 with a K20A motor.
I hope it works, the car is wicked fast so the header should help a bit. :)
Thanks for all the help guys.
:)

rayray

Maxim works is another manifold you could consider, the mani is supposed to be better than Toda accoding to many people in the know in japan, its a brand not very well known in the UK but quite famous in Japan and far east. I think a couple of guys on the forums use this manifold?