Rack riser and slider

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my slider in my rack. They don't cost a lot and thought it would be a good idea to do it. At the same time it would make sense to fit my rack riser. I'm also thinking of replacing both track rod ends and roll centre adjusters (at last) this would then give me a full refresh on my suspension and so a full geomatry would be needed. That's fine.

But am I ok fitting these parts or do I need shorter track rods or inverted tie rod ends or any of that jazz??!! I'm not going all out track and massive negative camber (although I would like a little more than TGMs settings)

So all in all I would have;

Roll centre adjusters
Hard race bushes
Spoon rigid collars
Track rod ends
Rack slider
Rack riser
Camber bolts

Anything else?

And any idea on settings as the car gets used everyday. 8j et 48 wheel 215 tyre.

Thanks

wj51fut

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
I wouldnt bother with the riser but everything else is fine.
How come? I thought that these would help to level out the track rods. Less strain and more positive steering feedback? The car is lowered on Spoon springs too.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Levelling the tie rods makes toe in characteristics worse.

You wont need on springs either.

They are sold as reducing tramlining but they end up toeing in under compression thus stabilising the car. Making it 'feel' better

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Placebo effect then? Ok. Will stick with the slider and other bits then. Cheers Mike! 👍🏻

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Ill be ordering a slider from my mate Evan at SHG motorworks soon from america. He designed a more robust slider. Check it out on their facebook page SoHonda Garage

A few of us are doing it to reduce the shipping

How soon are you wanting to do the work?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Not that soon. How much are these sliders you can get and what are the benefits? I like new shiny parts!! 😊

mike.williams

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Not that soon. How much are these sliders you can get and what are the benefits? I like new shiny parts!!
tighter fit, harder wearing.

Top to bottom: EP3/DC5/SHG rack sliders. EP3 looks to be made out of a different material than DC5 possibly, but definitely from a different mold. Much more precise with crisp edges and dimensions.

SHG sliders however surpass both in surface area and precision and are now confirmed to fit both Electric and Hydro racks. $70 plus shipping!

Tore down the first DC5 rack that had play at the shakedown. Slider was a bit worn but also suspecting another issue. While in the rack we are designing a reinforced slider with more surface area. The goal is to alleviate the wear, noise, and play issues these racks develop with high mileage or harsh use. Stay tuned!
copied from their facebook

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
What are the symptoms of a worn slider? I can"grab a steering arm and lift it up and down slightly, looks like the centre bracket is moving.
Is this a symptom or is that normal? Can anyone check theirs?

2ndy

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
What are the symptoms of a worn slider? I can"grab a steering arm and lift it up and down slightly, looks like the centre bracket is moving.
Is this a symptom or is that normal? Can anyone check theirs?
Mine does this aswell, no knocking though more like flexing

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Up and down movement and slight side to side.

Jack one side up and wiggle the wheel in the air and wstch the bracket

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi Mike and others.

I've just had a few bits done on the car, so it's now running brand new OEM track rod ends, OEM ball joints, new hardrace LCA bushes and is fully polybushed on Super Pro bushes apart from the LCA ones which were knackered. I'm on Spoon springs and Mugen showa dampers and the SHG rack slider I got from you Mike.

I've not had a chance to take it for a proper run yet but I will be this weekend but in the short time I've driven it, the car still pulls around a lot; especially on bumpy roads. When the lad at VTEC Direct drove it back from its MOT, he said it still seems to suffer from bump steer, they've recommended going for some shorter steering arms and a rack riser as the arms are bent on an angle quite a bit. Ben at VTEC also reckons this will reduce the bump steer and should help it a lot. I've read on this thread and countless others that you shouldn't go for the rack riser?

I'm not in position at this time to do anything else to it so I'm going to have to leave it as it is but you mentioned in a post above Mike that it 'stabilises' the car, did you mean 'de-stabilises' it?

I'm just trying to find the best solution here really. I don't have front camber bolts as Ben said they're not needed for me as the car sees minimal action on track and I use it every day pretty much so a lot of negative camber isn't needed on the front.

Any help would be greatly appreicated guys.