Radio reception

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Hi All,

Can any of you ICE gurus clear this up for me.

I had the JDM stereo in my car when I bought it and i could only get a couple of radio stations, pretty much all the ones I dont listen too and none of the ones I do!...

I thought this was the band issue with the radio its self and as I was moving over to an appradio i decided to just wait. No i have my appradio fitted i still have the same issue.

is this because the reception is just poor or do i need a band expander? I thought the issue was just with the radio rather than the aerial ?

Help please and thanks in advance.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Changing the headunit should have done that? Is the aerial cable properly connected to the back? Can be stiff to plug in but that's where I'd look first. :)

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Yep,it should be fine..the aerial is in the rear window and the lead to/from it goes from the headunit to the passenger side of the car so it may be worth following it to see if there are any breaks or damageHTH David

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks chaps thought as much.
I have had the head unit out half dozen times and checked rechecked the aerial and its in fine. I can get a decent reception on radio 1 for instance but poor or nothing on radio4. I get a better signal from welsh radio than local its bonkers. This is what made me think its a band issue.
Is there a way of checking the aerial with a meter? Resistance or conti etc?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Just wondering if there was a band expander fitted to get the Jap unit to work and its still fitted to the aerial cable somewhere??

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
That's a thought. Going to have to trace the cable and see what I can find. Surely must be a way of testing it, will have to google some more.
At the minute I mirror my phone to my head unit so can stream radio but its hit and miss with data coverage.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
band expander is fitted to the back of the radio, i always thought the ariel was amplified and as such needs power, was there not a terminal loose next to the ariel cable ?

unfortunately its been a while since ive had a radio out of a dc5,

for sure on the later RSX it has a powered ariel amp

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I didn't see any device as such on the aerial so unless its tucked away somewhere. If it is amplified out of the factory that might be something to check although beyond a fuse I wouldn't know where to find it.
If anyone has a schematic that would be cool.

Rom

Advanced Member
Not seen any working diagrams for these. Best I've seen is the rsx manual, which will list plug pins in diagnostic parts.

My aerial isn't great either to be honest. Some stations are pretty solid, others can't listen to because of constant interference.

The aerial setup isn't great, screen aerials rarely are. But they are usually amplified, as the design means they aren't as strong as stick up aerials.

If you still have the old unit and wiring is intact, assuming you used an adapter rather than cutting anything...
Power aerial will be 12v, won't be many at the unit. One for ignition feed, one for battery feed, then probably just aerial.
If you have an iso adapter, the aerial is usually blue and white.

That said, that generally refers to an electric aerial, rather than an amplified one.
Amplified ones normally need something like this I think.

That said, I tried lots of things on my Audi (another screen aerial) and could never get decent reception!

I haven't tried anything in the dc5, as I'm used to just using my phone for radio. Means I can get all dab stations etc too. So works out better for me anyway.

Get something like TuneIn Radio app, and never look back.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks for that Rom. I used an iso adapter so nawt should be damaged so will be able to check that on the meter. I don't have the old unit unfortunately but it was exactly the same reception wise. I binned it after kicking it round the garage for weeks. I do use a few different radio apps but also travel a lot in crap mobile signal areas.
Think I'll track the aerial cable down as far as I can and look for an amplifier.