Rang around for insurance today and was pleasantly surprised

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
Before purchasing a car and before I happily stumbled across this site, I rang around a bit for a insurance quotation to see what sort of running costs were involved. My best quote was from Adrian Flux of £1067 which in truth I was more than happy with.

However armed with a list of insurance companies from this site I set about the phones again to find THE quote!

Here are my vitals... :roll: Male, 25, SP30 3pts £60 (2003), SP30 5pts £175 (2005), 1 non fault accident (2003), goodish area, 5 years NCD.

My car's vitals... Standard DC5 Type R, 51 plate, value of 12k, CAT 1 Alarm/Imm, 12,000 per year, parked on driveway, social and commuting.

The Prices
• Firebond (now Footman James) "... over £1600..."
• Alexander McNicol "...did you say it was a diesel?.. I'm sorry but I can't quote on that model"
• A-Plan (Daniel) "...£975!" :D
• Sky "...£975 who was that with? ...I will have to call you back" No call received.
• Tesco (Mark) "... blah blah blah, home insurance, breakdown recovery, blah blah blah... 25 minutes later... £1735" :?
• Adrian Flux "... no I'm afraid that's the cheapest we can get it... £1067"

So the combination of finding this GREAT site and ringing around a bit has saved me the best part of £100! And the fact I can pay in 4 installments over the next 3 months, interest free, is fantastic! xthumbup

So not content with saving money, I went and spent again on a personal plate. :roll: Plus as I'm paying over a few months, I may even be able to get some half decent tyres too! :D

Happy days!

sky insurance

Advanced Member
Re: Rang around for insurance today and was pleasantly surpr

TypeGRRR said:
• Sky "...£975 who was that with? ...I will have to call you back" No call received.
Hi,

that really doesn't sound right, all of our agents will know which company they are quoting for... please drop me a PM with your full name, postcode and phone number and I will investigate this... and if necessary bang some heads together :D

Thanks

Ollie Frost
Club Liaison Manager
Sky Insurance

bezza4

Advanced Member
£975 is not a bad price. Wouldn't mind if mine was that. It is due for renewal at the end of Jan. A Plan and Sky seem to get the best results. May be Ollie will be able to sort me out with a good deal :D

bezza4

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Im paying just over £500 come renewal :eek:
Yeah pipe down, we can't all be as old as you :wink:

I am hoping mine will come down nicely when I am 25, as have seen a few good quotes for other 25 year olds. Got another 2 years to wait though unfortunately.

dotty

Advanced Member
bezza4 said:
dotty said:
Yeah pipe down, we can't all be as old as you :wink:

I am hoping mine will come down nicely when I am 25, as have seen a few good quotes for other 25 year olds. Got another 2 years to wait though unfortunately.
I'm only just 28 :oops:

'When I were a lad'

When I first got a CTR in 2003 i was paying £1600 ish.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
Re: Rang around for insurance today and was pleasantly surpr

sky insurance said:
TypeGRRR said:
Hi,

that really doesn't sound right, all of our agents will know which company they are quoting for... please drop me a PM with your full name, postcode and phone number and I will investigate this... and if necessary bang some heads together :D

Thanks

Ollie Frost
Club Liaison Manager
Sky Insurance
Ollie, you hve PM.

dotty

Advanced Member
TypeGRRR said:
dotty said:
Have you any naughties on your licence and/or any accidents in your past?
6 points (SP50, speeding on a motorway) will expire in April 08, No accidents at all.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
dotty said:
TypeGRRR said:
dotty said:
6 points (SP50, speeding on a motorway) will expire in April 08, No accidents at all.
6 points in a single conviction, that's a good effort :wink: I managed to get 5 points for my major mister meaner, in a Skoda no less...

That's a fab renewal, who's that with? How long have you had your car?

Chris

dotty

Advanced Member
TypeGRRR said:
dotty said:
TypeGRRR said:
dotty said:
6 points in a single conviction, that's a good effort :wink: I managed to get 5 points for my major mister meaner, in a Skoda no less...

That's a fab renewal, who's that with? How long have you had your car?

Chris
Yeah in a oner :oops:

103 on a deserted four laned section of the A1 (near the A19 oop north) at midnight..

I've had the car for 15 months and that is with direct line, I dont tend to move around with car insurance companys for convinience however I may ring around this time to see if anyone can beat that quote.

I have been with direct line since 2003 and have never made a claim but reading up on those who have claimed they have not been messed around etc, One of the reasons why I have not changed companies etc.

Other smaller companys that offer cheap quotes have proven to be a pain in the harris when making a claim.

I probably wont change from direct line tbh.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Yeah in a oner :oops:

103 on a deserted four laned section of the A1 (near the A19 oop north) at midnight..

I've had the car for 15 months and that is with direct line, I dont tend to move around with car insurance companys for convinience however I may ring around this time to see if anyone can beat that quote.

I have been with direct line since 2003 and have never made a claim but reading up on those who have claimed they have not been messed around etc, One of the reasons why I have not changed companies etc.

Other smaller companys that offer cheap quotes have proven to be a pain in the harris when making a claim.

I probably wont change from direct line tbh.
I got caught doing 98.8mph on a *very* quite dual carriageway one Sunday afternoon. Just a word of warning to those that believe that keeping under 100 is the cut off for loosing your licence, it isn't, anything over 96mph cannot be dealt with at the side of the road but has to be dealt with in court (well so I was told by the traffic officer that stopped me). Though I assumed they looked at the circumstances which is why I got off relatively lightly. :?

I never gave Direct Line a chance, in fact I haven't given them a chance in years... I will when my renewal comes round xthumbup

dotty

Advanced Member
Yeah they say anything over 25mph of the designated speed limit has to be dealt with by the courts.