RBC IM Upgrade

spooke

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Cheers Chris, I have ESMM fitted anyway so all good to go. Why Solid Fabs out of interest? Do you have good feedback on their system?
When I spoke to Romain he said he sees good figures from them and recommended getting one over other systems. Plus you can get Alan (Solid Fab) to make one with a optional Sports CAT for MOT time and also a 3" catback that's track friendly if you want to go the whole hog.

Rom

Advanced Member
Rbc is a very worthwhile upgrade. I wouldn't get hung up too much on the brand names, i mean I doubt anyone spends more than Honda when it comes to r and d. I know it's not specifically for our car, but the gains are there to be had. The Rrc more so, but from my research, only a very small difference. But, as already said, NA tuning is about small numbers adding up.
Until mapped, you won't see any benefit. The stock map will only have scope to adjust its fueling within set parameters. It won't maximise the air / fuel, as it simply isn't designed to.

In an ideal world, a nice smooth graph is desirable. Though mapped this way, I've lost some of the 'kick' of vtec. The car is just fast now, rather than waiting for it to kick in. I guess this is a combination of gains, and the map shifting vtec. But then, it never kicked like the old b series anyway :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

kwiatu

Advanced Member
Few days ago at dyno, we did tried few intake manifolds with 70mm tb upgrade.

Engine was k24a3...

oem prc manifold - 250hp
ported rbc manifold with 70mm tb - 276hp
ported rbc manifold with oem tb - 273hp

:)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
kwiatu said:
Few days ago at dyno, we did tried few intake manifolds with 70mm tb upgrade.

Engine was k24a3...

oem prc manifold - 250hp
ported rbc manifold with 70mm tb - 276hp
ported rbc manifold with oem tb - 273hp

:)
Finally, some actual evidence.

Can I ask if the map was tweaked in between the 70mm tb and OEM tb to suit each tb, or was it just a bolt on test?

Rom

Advanced Member
Yeah, most of us have spent thousands. To get somewhere between 10-40 bhp lol.

kwiatu

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
Finally, some actual evidence.

Can I ask if the map was tweaked in between the 70mm tb and OEM tb to suit each tb, or was it just a bolt on test?
Fuel was tweaked, ignition map was untouched. Best mods we discovered is IM (ported rbc makes better job in mid range), well calculated exhaust (not 2.5 exhaust manifold and 3inch b pipe and catback - its weird idea), well calculated intake (even 3" short arm makes better job than gruppe m or something - but need to have heat insulation and air duct to suply cold air), 70mm tb is overpriced in my opinion - just changes throttle responce - if you run 10% on 70mm, its like 20% on oem.. in my personal car i would go with ported RBC + heatshield, oem TB, and calculated SRI + heatshield and air duct.

Rom

Advanced Member
Everything I've read about the 70mm is pretty much bad. Slight gains, but worsens the drive / feel of throttle etc.

I run a ported rbc and oem tb, with a J's intake, buddyclub header and system.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Fuel was tweaked, ignition map was untouched. Best mods we discovered is IM (ported rbc makes better job in mid range), well calculated exhaust (not 2.5 exhaust manifold and 3inch b pipe and catback - its weird idea), well calculated intake (even 3" short arm makes better job than gruppe m or something - but need to have heat insulation and air duct to suply cold air), 70mm tb is overpriced in my opinion - just changes throttle responce - if you run 10% on 70mm, its like 20% on oem.. in my personal car i would go with ported RBC + heatshield, oem TB, and calculated SRI + heatshield and air duct.
Kwiatu, what exhaust manifold and cat back are you recommending?

kwiatu

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Kwiatu, what exhaust manifold and cat back are you recommending?
to be honest,

manifolds - there will be no such a difference between one and another
about exhaust, if you run 3" exhaust manifold, you should go about 2.5 (if your car is running aftermarket cams, etc.) 2.36 (if your car is running oem block + and just manifolds, intake) inch end of exhaust, that makes your car making Nm.

Also remember that in 90% of time you use your mid range so if you will make 10HP gain in 3500-7000RPM range, is in my opinion much better than making gain of 3HP at rev limit.

Also there is important lenght of your intake - short intake makes bigger gains on top end, longer ones makes gains in midrange - but i dont know how to calculate it, friend of mine is a hero in this kind of knowledge.

Another pretty good intake manifold is RSP (intake from FN2) makes such a great gains in midrange - but its cheap af.