RBC TIGHT FITMENT ISSUES

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Ok guys, i think i know everything i should know for RBC fitment on DC5...

I am wondering..

1.everyone who has one, has removed the clip/bracket that holds the bonnet catch? i have seen some having them in place, but involves some MORE modification to keep it. Any alternatives except from gas struts? i am thinking of attaching the bracket elsewhere.

2.I only have an J's ETD...i dont really wanna go stiffer mounts, any chance the RBC would hit the front of the car? When you accelerate it should move backward but when you decelerate it would move forward ..less than backward i guess... but still any chance to hit the radiator support(or whatever is called,i am sure you know the part i mean)

I have done my research but i havent got satisfactory answers, so please dont flame ! :)

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
No mate, it won't hit the front panel, it didn't on mine anyway with standard mounts and no ETD. I fitted bonnet struts and removed the bonnet stay completely, not a lot else you can do without hassle

dave c

400hp K20
I kept the bonnet stay but just removed the catch that holds it in place. Only issue I had was when the engine rocked it let the stay slip down in front of the inlet mani and got stuck, that happened twice, gas struts sounds like a clever idea. ;)

hondazzz

Advanced Member
No mate, it won't hit the front panel, it didn't on mine anyway with standard mounts and no ETD. I fitted bonnet struts and removed the bonnet stay completely, not a lot else you can do without hassle
Thanks Matt so i guess hitting the panel wont be a problem.

I kept the bonnet stay but just removed the catch that holds it in place. Only issue I had was when the engine rocked it let the stay slip down in front of the inlet mani and got stuck, that happened twice, gas struts sounds like a clever idea. ;)
yes gas struts its a good idea but it means added cost for the RBC mod,like a silicone intake hose is an added cost to fit the RBC... maybe its cost wiser buying a SKUNK2? if it doesnt have the same (or even more) fitting issues.

i have been told that there is ways to keep the catch that hold the bonnet stay but i didnt really like any of them... i was thinking of..custom made bracket (thinner and closser to the radiator support maybe?) or relocate the bracket further away from the manifold towards the battery... i will have to check it in person when i go home.

EDIT: But if you say the stay managed to stuck in between the Inlet Mani and the front panel..that means i cannot do any of the above..

leejw87

Spoon Whore
There is hardly any room left when the RBC is in place... Get some bonnet dampers from eBay there not expensive.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
yes thats the last option.. things is very tight .. when its installed i will try a couple of ideas, just wanted to see if anyone else has done anything.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I wanted to keep mine as I'd also seen some people with the original bonnet stay.. but after I fitted mine it was a no go lol.

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
i just removed the retaining clip, ive got my bonnet stay just resting in between the rbc and the slam pannel its rattles around a little bit but it dont bother me that much

TyperItr

Advanced Member
i just removed the retaining clip, ive got my bonnet stay just resting in between the rbc and the slam pannel its rattles around a little bit but it dont bother me that much
Sorry to say, but it will fall below your manifold soon enough and rattle around down there for a while. Until you need to use it and pull it back up. It will keep falling down there

firthy22

Advanced Member
Sorry to say, but it will fall below your manifold soon enough and rattle around down there for a while. Until you need to use it and pull it back up. It will keep falling down there
Mine sits like this, just rests between RBC and cross member. It rests on the rubber surround about 6 inches from the end, no rattles and hasn't fallen down.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Obviously not driving it hard enough ;) lol

lol,

so,if the bonnet stay , fits beetween the rbc and the front panel means that it just need a custom bracket to keep it in place.. thats good.

or i should prefer RRC that is shorter..hmm..:)

firthy22

Advanced Member
Obviously not driving it hard enough ;) lol
Wanna bet :)
Hard not to, on a mountain road with no speed limit.

lol

so,if the bonnet stay , fits beetween the rbc and the front panel means that it just need a custom bracket to keep it in place.. thats good.

or i should prefer RRC that is shorter..hmm.. :)
RRC is supposed to be better than the RBC but quite a bit more expensive so you certainly won't lose anything by going for the RRC except for the hard earned money out of your wallet. Most use the RBC because it is the most cost effective option.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Wanna bet :)
Hard not to, on a mountain road with no speed limit.

RRC is supposed to be better than the RBC but quite a bit more expensive so you certainly won't lose anything by going for the RRC except for the hard earned money out of your wallet. Most use the RBC because it is the most cost effective option.
yeah mate i know..and there are very good package prices on the RBC..cant find none on the RRC..

i was just exploring the case, if RBC will eventually needs bonnet struts..maybe i should go the extra length and buy the RRC.. but since it fits beetween the RBC and the front panel i think i will get away by just making a custom bracket to attach it