RE 040 legality

letterkenny

Just acquired a lovely dc5 with 10k on it, but a little scared by a post that suggested jap tyres may invalidate insurance!!! Got RE040s on it. Its a bit dark(all the time now!) so need to check for e marking, but wondered about others experience in this vain??? :shock:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It shouldn't pass sva with jap tyres unless your dealer swapped them for the test to UK legal rubber then swapped back before you picked it up.
If thats the case he has cheated the sva and should provide you with new tyres foc.
If theres another reason why you have them which there could be of course and you have an accident it is entirely possible the insurance company will use it as a loophole and not pay.

where did you get the tyres?

mikegsi

Staff member
i have some jap 040's too mate, used them for track days and a bit of road use, tbh over time i think they've hardened and deffo arent as good as they once were, it passed its mot with them on, but tbh i dont think the tester looked for e markings on the tyres

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
mike an mot is a bit different to the sva, the mot only checks condition /wear etc if it looks like a normal road tyre they won't even check. SVA is very different tho, they check the markings /load ratings etc so it shouldn't have passed.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
an mot is a bit different to the esva test, the mot only checks condition /wear etc if it looks like a normal road tyre they won't even look twice. SVA is very different tho, they must check the markings /load ratings etc so it shouldn't have passed if it had those tyres fitted.

If the tyre isn't uk road legal then your insurance company will have every right to refuse your claim.

rossi

Simon what sticky tyres for the ring would you recommend and where would i get them from

dan the man

Advanced Member
rossi said:
Simon what sticky tyres for the ring would you recommend and where would i get them from
something that wont get warm and go sloppy. As for weather conditions can change easily so dry tires not always best option unless u stay off the track in the rain.

Ive used re010s, ADVANS, AVSs and all been fine.

Have used kumhos but too soft sidewall and was hardwork.