RE040 -> RE070?

jo3y

I'm in need of two new front tyres before I put my car in for it's MOT next week. I'm currently running Bridgestone Potenza RE040's but after seeing quite a few good reviews on the RE070's I'm thinking of upgrading but have a few questions first and was hoping you lot could help :D

How much more grip do the RE070's provide? The RE040's are fantastic in the dry but a little slippery in the wet to say the least. What's the feedback like through the RE070's? It's great through the RE040's and I don't want to ruin it.

And most importantly... is it really not advisable to mismatch the tyres (ie 040's on the rear nad 070's on the front)? if so I guess I'll have to stick with the 040's until the rears are little more worn and I can afford 4 corners worth of 070's

Cheers,

Charlie

Zani

Advanced Member
You can have a different pair of tyres on the front then the back. The bigger the difference in grip between them requres more skill from the driver!

... I had toyo r888s on the front of mine and just re50s on the back, it was tail happy to say the least!

I have re70s on now and they are great tyres.

I would say all tyres are sketchy in the rain! What would you expect pushing a front wheel drive into puddles.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
RE070's have very stiff sidewalls, silly amounts of grip and precision. You would be best advised to change all 4 as there will be a large difference in grip levels.

However, RE070's don't like winter, they have a tendency to become ditchfinders, now would not be a good time to change.

Zani, there's no reason why all tyres should be sketchy in the rain; if they don't have enough tread to clear the water, they are the wrong tyres for the job.

jo3y

DolphiN Tech said:
RE070's have very stiff sidewalls, silly amounts of grip and precision. You would be best advised to change all 4 as there will be a large difference in grip levels.

However, in winter they have a tendency to become ditchfinders, now would not be a good time to change.
Sounds like good advice cheers mate, think I'll just buy two more RE040's then... Can't complaing about the grip levels or precision of them in the dry, I'll just have to carry on behaving in the wet.

tedg

Advanced Member
RE050s was a significant step up in wet performance rom RE040s and seem pretty good in the dry.

Although still do not go crazy fast in the rain :)

jo3y

DolphiN Tech said:
If you're not happy with wet weather performance, perhaps try RE050's or Eagle F1 Asymmetrics...
Well I don't want to be mismatching the tyres if the levels of grip in the wet are leagues apart as I'll end up losing the back end. To be honest it's probably best if I can't push too hard in the wet as I've got a Cusco Slip Diff fitted and it's a tad agressive so hitting a puddle in the wet at any speed can be dangerous :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
sack them both and get some f1's, fantastic wet and dry grip, after my re01-r's wear down past legal i'll be getting them, i was never happy with the 040's