RE040's - beware

User

Advanced Member
I've just asked Kwik Fit (yeah yeah, I know) to tell me what the difference was between RE010's and RE040's. We use the RE040's, DC2's use the RE010's.

Well - they didn't know so they rang Bridgestone technical to ask them directly as I sat down to earwig on the conversation.

Upshot is - Bridgestone (UK) said that the DC5 comes out the factory with JDM RE040's - which are NOT the same as EU RE040's. So, the RE040's we get in the UK are basically out of spec for the car.

Bridgestone UK say that anyone with a DC5 should be using UK RE010's, which are a near perfect match for the JDM RE040's.

Thought I'd let you know - up to you guys whether you want to double check it or whatever but I've just ordered 4 x UK RE010's and they're going on ASAP.

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
I ordered RE010's for the DC5 (front only) by mistake thinking I was getting RE040's.

They wore much, much faster (don't think I hit close to 8k miles)

They wore very badly down the middle of the tyre, leaving the sides looking like new. It looked like over inflation, but the tyres were either under inflated slightly or spot on.

I made sure to check this very regularly.

I'd avoid Re010's like the plague for the DC5 - according to my supplier they are at least 3 models out of date for the car. They did suggest trying the RE050's, but I'm happy with 40's.

I'd avoid RE010's personally...you'll be changing them pretty soon otherwise. (sure the pictures are on the forum somewhere)

dan the man

Advanced Member
hmm weird these posts.

ok i had RE010S on my DC2 and loved them...so what if a few models old..they cut the mustard on the DC2 amazingly on track and off it.

The CTR comes with RE040s and weighs the same a DC5 (roughly) and they must be UK spec tires and the CTR is the same chassis really and does the same thing in terms of accelaration and pace and load.

ok tire design moves on and reo010s are old now so dunno..

just get yokos :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
my spare alloys have re040's on them, however the whole thing came from good old jdm land WITH the JDM spec 040's on! and theyre good! :D

kaz6160

:D Must be the way you lot drive as I am still on original tyres on 24k with supercharger :D

fonz600

Advanced Member
Get Yoko Advans.
Mine came with them already fitted and they are much better than the Pot's that were on my EP3.
The Yoko's give me way more confidence. My mate has Pot's on his DC5 and he reckons the back end is a little twicthy with them and mine hasn't even threatened to step out yet.

dan the man

Advanced Member
which advans tho?

the AD07 are amzing, have them also on other wheels. just amazing grip like ive never had before...seem to find grip in the wet too. shame they are not EU legal as not marked. think thats correct :? :|

User

Advanced Member
I've had the 010's on now for a few days and even hit the track with them last Sunday - absolutely perfect. Nice feel, stiff sidewall, compound itself I think is a little softer because they're miles better in the wet. They dont need warming up as much as the RE040's to get them to bite the road.

No idea how long they'll last but much better all round grip - wet or dry.

I got about 3 hot laps out of them around Donnington and then they started to squeel a bit - but most road tyres will do that. Still felt plenty of grip with them squeeling their ass off though.

Also - bear in mind taking brand new tyres onto track isn't actually ideal - the tread chucks are tall and so move around creating heat. As the tyres were the tread chunks shorten obviously and they dont heat up so easily.

Wootty

Advanced Member
So where can you buy Yoko Advans. Looking at combinations and costs for trackdays this year.

Trikki Nikki

The RE010 is great in the dry and crap in the wet. The main advantage over the RE040 is that they have super stiff sidewalls, and wear less. The UK spec ADVANS are stiff and very good in all conditions. Howver, nothing will be on par with the AD07 wich is absolutely amazing in wet dry and everything in between. Can't get these babys in the UK, you have to get them imported wich is £££ if anyone can get em in let me know.

The UK advans, can be found in the link below, but are all funny sizes and you can't get em in 15" or 16"s :evil:

http://swtyres.co.uk/tyres/yokohama/advan_sport

dan the man

Advanced Member
speak to lotus dealers, they get advans in 15 and 16.

AD07 most amazing tire ever, wet dry most grip ive evr known. so gutted we dont get them. amazing tire.

fonz600

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
which advans tho?

the AD07 are amzing, have them also on other wheels. just amazing grip like ive never had before...seem to find grip in the wet too. shame they are not EU legal as not marked. think thats correct :? :|
The ones I've got are A046 or something like that, not 100% sure tho. Definitely more confidence inspiring the my old Potenza's anyway

dan the man

Advanced Member
yes A046 came standard on the EVO7 for a while. Then YOKO japan decided to not export them anymore so now only in japan and not being E marked. EVO owners were pi55ed as yoko developed the tire for the 7 and well left wondereing what to but next. a lot of DC5s have them on it seems that come over. The A048 came out intending to replace it said YOKO but EVO owners said it was a totally different tire they thought for how it behaved.

I have some A046s on the way second hand, also have some AD07s on my white wheels and have YOKO AVSs on my silver wheels which are currently on the car.

All i know is the AD07 pi55 on anything ive ever used.. POT RE070s, AVSs, TOYOs, blah blah.

nopw its up to you guys if u wana risk having no E marks...not sure how wise the coppers are. i say sod it, if loads of tread and car is all legal then they might not even look. but if your upside down in a field thenj the insures might look???? :lol: