RE070 or F1 asymmetric?

Magnet

I just can't decide! I have done a search but am still no wiser. I have been quoted £460 for 4 F1's fitted or £480 for RE070 fitted so there is hardly anything in it but is there anything else I should consider that would sway me one way or another?

My car is at the standard ride height so the extra width of the RE070 won't be a problem. Is one tyre noisier than the other? The RE070 tread pattern looks more track focused is this the case? The car spends most of it's life on the road. What about wear - is the RE070 a lot softer than the F1's?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I haven't used the RE070s, but previous experience with that series of tyres on a DC2 (RE010s) and reading what others on here have said in the past, I'm not sure I'd trust RE070s in heavy rain/very cold conditions etc. The RE010s were horrible in the damp, obviously you would expect them to have improved the design since, but even so, my understanding is that they are a dry weather fast road/track tyre.

I'm sure others swear by them, but I just can't stand the gamble on a damp corner with that kind of tyre! I'm running the F1s, they seem as good as the previous F1 GSD3s. Make sure you get the XL version with stiffer sidewalls!

Hoodster

Advanced Member
I use re070's and I can't say enough good things about them they are quite frankly the best tyres I've ever used the only tyres I've used that gave me more grip than the potenza's are the toyo proxies and they don't last two minutes.
I was an F1 asymmetric fan until I got a set of rims with potenza's on them and I was so impressed with them I wouldn't use any other tyre now however if you have no intentions of tracking your car then maybe you should get the F1's there better in the wet although the Potenza's are pretty good in the wet I believe the F1's are a better tyre for road use :)

lockwood77

Advanced Member
That's interesting about Toyos, I've found them to be the worst tyre I've ever used, T1-S and T1-R! Terrible, squidgy sidewall on the road, completely melted in minutes on track. Grip was poor next to F1 GSD3s and Birdgestone S02s (much lamented, they were brilliant tyres on my DC2s).

Rob84

Advanced Member
I've got the RE-070's on my car and find them BRILLIANT! In the dry they speak for themselves and yet in the wet they are very impressive too, considering the tread pattern. DC5's should run with tyres with a super stiff sidewall otherwise feel and turn-in are compromised, and the RE-070's fit that bill perfectly.

I've done about 3000 miles on my 70's including 3 laps of the 'ring and there is still loads of life left in them. when my current set are dead, i'll straight on to camskill to order another set :D

Hoodster

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
That's interesting about Toyos, I've found them to be the worst tyre I've ever used, T1-S and T1-R! Terrible, squidgy sidewall on the road, completely melted in minutes on track. Grip was poor next to F1 GSD3s and Birdgestone S02s (much lamented, they were brilliant tyres on my DC2s).
Never used Toyo's on my teg but got them on an RS Focus once never used them on track but on a warm dry road the grip was amazing they were on 18 inch rims though so maybe the smaller side wall helped.
But they cost me £105 a corner at the time and didn't manage 2000 miles of road use so I wouldn't buy them again :xtsk:

dave c

400hp K20
RE070's are amazing, as the others have said i can't rate them highly enough.

I managed to get 4 for £400 from tyretraders.com worth trying them.

Dry they are fantasic, too good to be honest lol. Wet they are good and cold they seem to be ok too.

I would imagine that they will aquaplane more than other more road focused tyres but to be honest i've never had a problem.

Best setup on an 8inch rim but perfectly fine on the standard 7inch rim.

Magnet

Thanks for the feedback. It would seem that they are both highly rated and it just comes down to personal preference.

I don't drive like a loon in the wet anyway (who does?) so I am sure that the RE070's will be fine. They can't be any worse than the Yokohama S-drive that are currently on the car. I think that they came last in an Evo magazine tyre test!

jonster

Advanced Member
I've got the DNA S-Drive Yokos on my FD2. They came with some wheels I bought second hand. I must admit they are not too good in the wet. Traction for turning is fine but they wheelspin in 3rd easily in the wet. What has impressed me is how well they stand up in the track. They just didn't seem to go off like you expect of a road tyre (no chewing gum mode). I was very impressed with them and I could corner just as well as fellow FD2's running stock RE70 225s when my Yokos where 205s. I guess because they are such a hard compound it explains why they are not brilliant in the wet. They were already part worn when I got them but two track days at Combe still hasn't killed them. I'm thinking Goodyears Asymms next and a second set of wheels for the track.