Really annoying sqeeking brakes

ab20000

Advanced Member
:xhelp: New to DC5 ownership and my brakes are squeeking like mad under light/medium braking and it's driving me mad. Anything obvious to check?
Thanks,

black teg

ab20000 said:
:xhelp: New to DC5 ownership and my brakes are squeeking like mad under light/medium braking and it's driving me mad. Anything obvious to check?
Thanks,
you could maybe try taking the front pads out and putting some fresh grease on the back of the pads,

it usually helps to keep the brakes a little quieter

ab20000

Advanced Member
black teg said:
ab20000 said:
Thanks,
you could maybe try taking the front pads out and putting some fresh grease on the back of the pads,

it usually helps to keep the brakes a little quieter
Yeah will try this just wondering if they have shims or anything that may be missing?

dc5ian

Advanced Member
your breaks are squeaking as you have mintex f4 pads on.. these are not road pads, these are race pads only, however i have them on my car and they work pretty well from cold so im leaving them on. they do squeak and not matter how much cooper grease you put on they are still going to squeak

dc5ian

Advanced Member
if u cant live with them then i suggest you buy some mintex 1114 pads whack them on with loads of cooper grease and save the f4's for on the track

ab20000

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
if u cant live with them then i suggest you buy some mintex 1114 pads whack them on with loads of cooper grease and save the f4's for on the track
Cheers mate - will only really be driving to/from track so can leave them on if they all do that.

Paul G

Members
Ian's right the F4 pads are race/track pads (and very good) but will squeal on road... 1144's would be a good road pad for you, but best to use Ceratec not Copper grease to fit them..

Paul.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
Ian's right the F4 pads are race/track pads (and very good) but will squeal on road... 1144's would be a good road pad for you, but best to use Ceratec not Copper grease to fit them..

Paul.
Copper grease and ceratec are the exact same thing with the same physical properties. "ceratec" is mintex's brand name for copper grease, copper grease is a generic term.

I think its bad advice to be telling a guy who is unhappy with squeeling brakes to go away and but m1144's when they will do the exact same thing no matter how much copper grease/ceratec is on them. I tried ceratec after taking your advice on here and my pads still made noise on light braking and coming to a stop after a week of the ceratec going on.

My advice if you dont want sqeeling brakes is to get oem honda/brembo/ferrodo pads and keep the f4's fr track only. Performance pads are a little overkill on roads 99% of the time anyway.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
Paul G said:

Paul.
Copper grease and ceratec are the exact same thing with the same physical properties. "ceratec" is mintex's brand name for copper grease, copper grease is a generic term.

I think its bad advice to be telling a guy who is unhappy with squeeling brakes to go away and but m1144's when they will do the exact same thing no matter how much copper grease/ceratec is on them. I tried ceratec after taking your advice on here and my pads still made noise on light braking and coming to a stop after a week of the ceratec going on.

My advice if you dont want sqeeling brakes is to get oem honda/brembo/ferrodo pads and keep the f4's fr track only. Performance pads are a little overkill on roads 99% of the time anyway.

the mintex 1114 dont squeak half as much as the f4's that he has on, he has over 800 quids worth of front discs on hes car so i doubt he would want to stick oem pads on, ive had the mintex 1114 pads on and yes they do squeak a bit but they are livable especially compared to the f4's.

Paul G

Members
cpoh said:
Paul G said:

Paul.

Sorry to hear you've had probs with 1144's/Ceratec...Very strange one this, some people love them, some say they squeal a bit but well worth it (see other posts).

There are lots of variants of copper slip with diff grease bases - the consistency of the grease changes it's ability to dampen vibrations from the pads.
Using some thing that is formulated to be the right consistency & that doesn't dry out etc, does a much better job of reducing squeal/preventing it...

Thks

Paul.
PS - Should be more info on Ceratec on the Mintex web site :idea:

jammy84

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
copper grease, as the name suggests, is derived from copper, the advantages which are that it lasts much longer (for most applications such as hub/wheel or bolt/nuts) and is much less prone to contamination from grime and dirt. Ceratec is a completely different type of grease, specially formulated to be used on the backing/moving parts of the pads / pistons, it contains no copper at all and is a completely different colour.

I have the same squeeking problem with my ferrodo pads so i tried fresh copper grease, this only lasted 2 weeks before the squeeking returned. But when I first tried ceratec, this lasts much longer, like a couple of months so a big improvment.

My advice to you is to formulate some degreaser solution, take the pads out, and use the degreaser with a toothbrush or wire brush if you want to be harsh. use this method on all the inner workings of the caliper, and all over the pad, front and back. then let them all dry once you have ridded all the grime and dirt from them. apply a layer of ceratec on the pistons, back of the pads, and the rubbing bits of the pad against the caliper

cpoh

Advanced Member
Paul G said:
Sorry to hear you've had probs with 1144's/Ceratec...Very strange one this, some people love them, some say they squeal a bit but well worth it (see other posts).

There are lots of variants of copper slip with diff grease bases - the consistency of the grease changes it's ability to dampen vibrations from the pads.
Using some thing that is formulated to be the right consistency & that doesn't dry out etc, does a much better job of reducing squeal/preventing it...

Thks

Paul.
PS - Should be more info on Ceratec on the Mintex web site :idea:
Thanks for clearing that up Paul.

Dont get me wrong guys, the m1144's are outstanding road pads, great stopping power especially from cold which you dont get with other performance pads. I just couldnt live with the light sqeeking when light braking and coming to a stop. Fine on a race/track car but not my cup of tea for everyday road use for me. I find the oem pads are just great for everyday use and I have kept the m1144's for track days where I will get the best from them.

I was simply warning the guy that if he gets annoyed by the FR4's squeeking chances are he'll get annoyed with the m1144's too, albeit less so than the FR4's but they do squeek even with ceratec (in my case anyway!).

Paul G

Members
No Prob :)

Could be down to other things as well ? Condition of disc/deposits of pads used before on disc/anti squeal shims from OEM pads not refitted.....

Paul.