rear arch rust

integraleo

Advanced Member
Ok so one of my rear arches has a reasonable amount of rust coming through now. Unknown to me when I bought the car at some point in my cars life it has had a new rear quarter panel,its a very good job and the only reason I found out is the beading that you can see where it attaches when you open the boot is different than the other side. There is a tiny amount of surface rust around some of this beading which pretty much disappears with a bit of polish every now and again. Anyway about 18 months I had this rear quarter sprayed when I accidentally dropped something on it and caused a 50p sized dent and the rust on rear arch was sprayed over ( I asked the body shop to treat the tiny bit of rust but he obviously didn't) within couple months it started to come back through. It's now getting worse,it's not bad enough to actually see it unless you get down on your hands and knees and look up and is not visible on the outside edge of paintwork just on the lip of the arch. Now my question is for anyone knowledgeable in this area can this be repaired by grinding it back to bare metal or is there a rear arch piece of metal to be bought and welded in? I literally have no idea and need this sorting.financially I probably won't have the money to fix this until March when I get my bonus from work, because at the same time I want my front bumper and bonnet sprayed to remove all traces of stone chips too. The rest of the car is unblemished and has been undersealed very well,I really do think the actual metal is not as good quality as the original. I'm down in Devon and I need to find a highly recommended body shop that can do this for me without costing the earth. Most paintwork I've had done in the past has just been to remove stone chips and not to do with rust so has just required quick rub down and some fresh paint. So any advice or answers to what can be done or anyone recommend a body shop would be grateful

nellly

Advanced Member
can you stick a picture up? the problem with rust in the rear arches with the and the older hondas ek,eg,dc2's etc is the rear arch rust comes from the inside out so what can look like a small but it actually very bad as its all on the underside of the arch.

qamvti

Advanced Member
As above picture please. Then better advice can be given. clean rust and Wax oil. Depended how bad it is.
Cheers
Kam

integraleo

Advanced Member
Bit difficult uploading pictures as I only really use my phone which can be a pain trying to achieve anything other than basic stuff. Just out of curiosity how many people have had arch rust cut out or rubbed down,treated and painted? As I said there isn't any visible rust or bubbling on the paintwork on the side of the car it's just limited to the actual lip. It will get sorted as soon as I get my bonus from work and find a good bodyshop that I can trust near me.