Rear arches.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone has actually had the rear lip removed from their arches instead of having them rolled like most do?

If so, was it an easy enough job? And can anyone recommend somewhere in the north west that could do this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrscho

Advanced Member
I asked my mechanic about this, thought it'll be easier to just cut them rather than roll them. Can't remember his exact words but basically something about it being bad for the car, cause when you cut off the edge your left with a a kinda split so if moisture gets Inbetween that, your arches will rot really quick right through..

Kenz

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
I asked my mechanic about this, thought it'll be easier to just cut them rather than roll them. Can't remember his exact words but basically something about it being bad for the car, cause when you cut off the edge your left with a a kinda split so if moisture gets Inbetween that, your arches will rot really quick right through..
Would this not be the same for the arches as they sit now? I believe they are double skinned as you say, but I guess there's nothing stopping moisture getting in them as they sit now....

Maybe cut them then seal them after, but if there's already moisture in there I guess it will just seal the moisture in and make the problem worse

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I would say cutting it would be bad for the integrity of the car.

The arch is spot welded together with the rear quarter. If you split that then you could have structural issues.

Kenz

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I would say cutting it would be bad for the integrity of the car.

The arch is spot welded together with the rear quarter. If you split that then you could have structural issues.
Agreed, but would rolling the arches not weaken the spot welds as such? I know a lot of people seem to get them rolled but to me I think having them completely removed would be easier and a tidier job.

badeshi

Advanced Member
I have rolled arches and due to rubbing back wheels there is some rust and decay on edge. I think you could easily grind off a bit of the lip without major disaster. It is only really top part and bumper is actually quite high... But prob go steady!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
If you're gonna do it just get the lip folded and make sure you treat it with something..

Just curious, why do you want to roll them?