REAR BRAKE ROTORS BEND

hondazzz

Advanced Member
My rear brake rotors have bend (i think its the correct word,well they are not straight..)

what i am wondering is WHY? Isn't it a bit wierd for the rear ones to bend? i mean they dont heat that much neither handle so much forces.

Maybe from a carwash while they were hot..maybe not.I ve been told that maybe my calipers have stuck and heat the rotors too much... i have removed the caliper, depress the brake pedal and the piston moved..is that enough or need anything else to test?

Any input appreciated.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
It's called warping, but its usually just pad deposited on the disc surface.

Very easy to get if you're out for a good hard drive then stop and put your handbrake on or if the caliper is binding slightly. The pads just bake onto the surface of the disc once you stop, thats one of the many reasons why you always need to cool your car down after hard driving.

I've got the same issue on my Subaru Impreza, going out and doing 20 or so hard stops from 70-20mph repeatedly will clean the disc surface off so i'd try that first, if that doesn't work then the discs themselves must be warped and need replacing.

mikegsi

Staff member
As above....

Too often people put the hand brake on after spirited driving without eating the discs cool down first

hondazzz

Advanced Member
It's called warping, but its usually just pad deposited on the disc surface.

Very easy to get if you're out for a good hard drive then stop and put your handbrake on or if the caliper is binding slightly. The pads just bake onto the surface of the disc once you stop, thats one of the many reasons why you always need to cool your car down after hard driving.

I've got the same issue on my Subaru Impreza, going out and doing 20 or so hard stops from 70-20mph repeatedly will clean the disc surface off so i'd try that first, if that doesn't work then the discs themselves must be warped and need replacing.
yes maybe its that too..lifted the handbrake after fast driving... but..

,i am not sure if we are talking for the same problem..(i am not from u.k so i dont know the correct word to describe it) but if you lift the car and spin the wheels you can hear the pads that makes more contact on some point each round.. is that what "wrapping" would cause?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above....

Too often people put the hand brake on after spirited driving without eating the discs cool down first
Mmmm chewy discs... ha ha...

Serious note, mine have a lot of surface rust so now and then I drive with the hand brake on for a while just to clean them off :)

They need skimming really.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Hondazz - Yes thats the same that i get with, at slow speeds you can hear it catching once per rotation of the wheel. That can be either warped/bent disks or pad deposits. The only way to know is to do lots of stops from high speed to low speed (but without actually coming to a stop) and if that cures it, it was just brake pad deposits.

Porthos - just go for a long drive with lots of hard braking im sure that'll take care of the rust ;)

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Hondazz - Yes thats the same that i get with, at slow speeds you can hear it catching once per rotation of the wheel. That can be either warped/bent disks or pad deposits. The only way to know is to do lots of stops from high speed to low speed (but without actually coming to a stop) and if that cures it, it was just brake pad deposits.

Porthos - just go for a long drive with lots of hard braking im sure that'll take care of the rust ;)

well i hope the discs are wrapped because i went on and bought some new ones since the were near their minimum thickness so i didnt bothered with skimming them.. the only reason i am asking what could cause it ,its to save the new ones from being wrapped.

Thanks for the info, most prolly was done by the handbrake i forgot NOT to use after a track session.

mikegsi

Staff member
Mmmm chewy discs... ha ha...

Serious note, mine have a lot of surface rust so now and then I drive with the hand brake on for a while just to clean them off :)

They need skimming really.
sausage fingers on iPad!!!! ;)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
rear brakes do sod all anyway, you should never be able to warp them . it is much more likely to be caused by corrosion or pad deposits on the rotor, the other thing that should be checked is the hub itself if it is not clean when the disc is fitted the disc will not sit flat.