Rear discs and pads

thomsojf

Advanced Member
I phoned up Dave Steels as usual for discs and pads today as everyone knows he's the man for oem parts. but at the same time i had a quick look on ebay for them.

Found these bad boys. Think I will give them a bash as they are slightly cheaper than standard oem discs and pads.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REAR-GROOVED-BRAK ... 3750wt_835

I phoned them up to ask why I would get front discs with rear pads :roll: but they said it must be a typo and in the end I ordered from them. I suppose trial and error. All in all they seemed pretty friendly and helpful.

sinbad

Advanced Member
well there cast discs which are then cut which is not ideal. The groove going to the end of the disc is also not ideal as they can cause the disc to crack.

There cheap but maybe ok on the rear as they only do 10-12% of the braking.

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Ahh I see says the blind man lol. Well il give them a bash as they are on their way.
Thinking about upgrading my discs at the front. Do you have some advice on them?

Grov

Banned
They look cheap and nasty, lol. Id of stayed with OEM for the rear personally......

The standard discs are more than up to the job if your not tracking......maybe some uprated pads, hoses, and fluid instead.

sinbad

Advanced Member
I'm not so clued up on who supplies what for the DC5 but stick to a good brand when it comes to brake discs. Paul G's and Bremtech are meant to be good at a reasonable price. You could always stick with OEM blanks too.

I've had some project Mu discs which were brilliant and i can say the same for the endless discs too but there not that cheap.

The most important thing is choosing the right brake pad and having decent and fresh brake fluid.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
as per sinbad, pad choice is critical to getting brakes to work well, not all aftermarket pads work with all aftermarket discs,
I used the J's Racing discs with PF 0.1 pads and brakes were ace.

discs from honda will be brembo in honda boxes.

weggy

Advanced Member
For the front brakes I cannot recomend Paul G discs with mintex pads enough they are fantastic and last well.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I got a set of drilled and grooved discs for the rear of the car off ebay. When i got them they were in honda boxes and all even had a small honda logo stamped into the back of the hub part of the disc. Probably the original discs just grooved on a cnc machine or something

sinbad

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
I got a set of drilled and grooved discs for the rear of the car off ebay. When i got them they were in honda boxes and all even had a small honda logo stamped into the back of the hub part of the disc. Probably the original discs just grooved on a cnc machine or something

You mean they ruined a completely good set of Honda discs?! :lol:

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Pads and discs came last night at 830pm which I thought was a bit strange but hey ho the arrived.
I already know that it probaly was not the best choice but on the other hand the rear pads were mintex. So at least something will b half decent haha

End of the day the company gave great service and quick postage too

Jonny

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Let us know what you think of them once there fitted, cos as previously said the rears do naff all of the actual breaking anyway so may aswell look cool with drilled and grooved discs 8) can't be too bad really

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Sorry guys been kinda lazy replying on here.
Well so far so good when it comes to the discs and pads. I don't really do track days so it's just road driving with these. The good news is they have stopped every time :)
I don't think there's much difference between the performance of the pads, so it's really just a look. However like someone mentioned before the grooves do go to the end of the disc. So you won't be fulling anyone that knows their stuff. Also if you did do track days I have no idea how they would manage. I know it's not really help. But for road use and spirited driving they are working a treat.

Jonny

cwwoodley

Does anyone have the Honda part numbers for the oem rear discs, if I can quote the part numbers to my local Honda they can order them in and so saving me postage from dave Johnson,

Does anyone have them?