Rear Discs and pads

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Well the time has come to place the rear discs and pads, now I'm wondering if to replace with oem or upgrade? won't be doing the front for a while however as they have a lot of life in them… do you think its worth it?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
You will struggle to find anything other than OEM discs. You have a good selection of brake pads as it shares the same callipers as the EP3.

What setup do you have on the front? If OEM, stick with OEM for the rear. If upgraded I'd upgrade the rear pads too.

People say there is no need because the back only does a low percentage of the braking, but it is balanced, if you upgrade the front then the balance is going to be thrown off. Might not notice it, but certainly not ideal.

I've got Ferodo DS3000 front and Ferodo DS2500 rear.

sam g

Banned
TGM race cars use OEM rears with huge front Brembo's I would guess there is no need to upgrade the rear

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
You will struggle to find anything other than OEM discs. You have a good selection of brake pads as it shares the same callipers as the EP3.

What setup do you have on the front? If OEM, stick with OEM for the rear. If upgraded I'd upgrade the rear pads too.

People say there is no need because the back only does a low percentage of the braking, but it is balanced, if you upgrade the front then the balance is going to be thrown off. Might not notice it, but certainly not ideal.

I've got Ferodo DS3000 front and Ferodo DS2500 rear.
Thanks for that dude, yeah its OEM on the front atm, I've heard the Ferodo's require to get very hot before they become good? not sure how accurate that is however i do intend to do a lot of track days next year.

So you think OEM pads for now? if i upgraded the rears for now and left the fronts on OEM for the time being would that also unbalance it?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'd go for Ferodo DS2000's mate, keep the discs standard and upgrade the pads and get some decent braided brake hoses while you're at it.

coolerking

Advanced Member
I believe a few people said if you upgrade the rears it can alter the brake balance for the worse.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Sylar122 said:
Thanks for that dude, yeah its OEM on the front atm, I've heard the Ferodo's require to get very hot before they become good? not sure how accurate that is however i do intend to do a lot of track days next year.

So you think OEM pads for now? if i upgraded the rears for now and left the fronts on OEM for the time being would that also unbalance it?
If you are planning on upgrading the front in the near future no harm in upgrading the rear at the moment, just be aware of the fact you have done it as on trailing braking there could be more chance of the rear moving.

Personally, OEM Brembo pads are shocking on track. The Ferodo DS3000 are a very aggressive pad and I have no problems with them on the road, first stop at the end of the road can be bit poor, but I've gotten into the habit to just rest my foot on the brake for 10 secs or so in 2nd as I drive up the street to get some heat into them straight away. For whatever reason, they barely squeal, but occasionally they are hilarious squeally for whatever reason.

My next choice of pad shall be Pagid RS29 (Yellows) or Carbone Lorriane RC5+ or RC6, meant to be creme de la creme of brake pads for track use and still be acceptable on the road.

dotty

Advanced Member
I use cosworth street mater pads on the rear with OEM discs. I have AP racing two piece discs on the front with 2500 pads and the stopping power is immense.

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I'd go for Ferodo DS2000's mate, keep the discs standard and upgrade the pads and get some decent braided brake hoses while you're at it.
Already got the braided brake hoses pal :)

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Cheers for all the info guys, thinking i might stick oem on for now, and wait till the fronts need replacing then change them all over in one go.

will be changing them if they are shocking on track days for sure, i intend to do a lot of that next year.

Is it worth getting the discs grooved? i noticed the rear discs are grooved on mine but not the fronts, and i believe it has to be done at request?

Sylar122

Advanced Member
coolerking said:
I believe a few people said if you upgrade the rears it can alter the brake balance for the worse.
Nope they said if i upgrade the front ;) lol

Sylar122

Advanced Member
dotty said:
I use cosworth street mater pads on the rear with OEM discs. I have AP racing two piece discs on the front with 2500 pads and the stopping power is immense.
What are these like for road use and track use in comparison to what wingnuttz suggests?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Oem discs all round, oem rear pads and front ds2500 will be fine on track, it's what I've ran this year on track. No problems at all.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If you do decide on sticking with OEM for the rear, speak to Tom at TGM. He got me a great price on some OEM spec Pagid rear pads.