rear end stability

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
hi.. took my teg to lydden hill today for my first track outing in it. amazed by the straight line performance but wasnt confident with the rear end all day. i have eibach spring and just had a full geo done so things should be in good shape. tyres are yoko neova.. played around with tyre pressures but really wasnt over confident with the car in terms of stability. anyone else had any issues like this?

Fez

Advanced Member
What is your alignment set too?
Might need a bit more toe in on the rear to help.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
When did you notice? Turning in, braking, exit etc.

Toe in on the rear would fix it most of time as Fez said.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Unless there's a severe issue the rear end should just follow the front like a puppy follows its owner.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
ill have to double check what it was set at but the guys who done my alignment said same thing more toe in!... it was around mid turn only just didnt feel planted and ultimatley led to me doing a 180 in the end.. im no pro driver by all means and know that i probably could have powered out of it but by the time i realised it was going it was gone! ive been around brands hatch in a few cars none of which had as good tyres or even had alignments done and never had the issue.. was more like i just couldnt feel the rear. on normal toads the car feels solid.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
bit of reading up and i think i may hae the answer.. my rear tyres were already near the linit prior to the track day.. however i thought they should be fine for the track.. seems that they could of been too worn to maintain steady levels of grip and heat

Kevin85

Advanced Member
DC5's like a loose rear end. Get it slowed down before the corner and bleed off the brake before turning the wheel, then drive it through and out of the corner with plenty of throttle. If it steps out while you're accelerating, it's probably broken or severely out of alignment.

It would be helpful to see and hear the exact happening of when and where it's breaking free. Do you have any footage?

Low tyres could be the issue, I would definitely get a more even tread wear front to rear before making any other changes. Only change one thing at a time, or you wont know which bit done the thing that you now like or hate.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
it was worse later into the session which is why i initially thought tyre pressures.. i was getting my braking done on the straight then turning in and it was during the turn before accelerating that it would then unsettle... almost like lift of oversteer i do have footage of the spin ill have to try and edit the footage to reduce in size.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Were you on the brakes as you turned in at all? As this will cause the back to swing round.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
no i was conscious of that after a near miss at brands down paddock hill before. i have been reading up and heard that the tyres i was using yoko ado8 are no good under 2mm of tread.. they become inconsistant and do not maintain heat etc. so im starting to lean towards that being the issue.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Personally, I would leave it alone. Next time you're out with newer rubber, if you still don't feel comfortable with the balance, try over slowing coming into a corner and getting straight back on the throttle, with zero coast. Also it's very important not to just jump off the brake pedal, the weight transfer will have the rear stepping out no end. You will probably find you're faster as you'll be on the throttle sooner and for longer for the next straight. You'll also find you can make the car yaw by feathering the throttle in the longer corners. Wear light shoes. :p

In slow, out fast. If you start dialing out oversteer, you'll be introducing understeer and that's slow and boring.

I've heard differently about the ad08's, although I haven't run them myself. I have a set waiting to go on though, so I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough. Any tyre is going to be harder to heat with less tread, the blocks are smaller and move less. Once you get more confidant with having the rear end moving around, you'll have no problem keeping the rears warm.

Re your footage, get a program called handbrake. It's a clever piece of software used for reducing file sizes. It works wonders.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
thanks.. to be honest ive sat and watched the footage back a few times today the previous lap the rear had started to go on a left hander same situation.. no braking gentle steering midway through the corner.. i took a slow lap after to cool things a bit and then when it proper spun on me i wasnt even pushing hard i had settled the car into the turn and then the rear just said no..

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
ive owned rwd cars before and done a rally day and drift day etc... dont get me wrong im no d1 superstar but ive had rear end step out when pushed in the past.. this really was unexpected like i had to tip toe around the track

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Bit of a thread revival.. steering has been getting gradually more sketchy pulling to the right under acceleration rear end being light... took it in to be checked out and found pretty much all ghe bushes are fried.. so the car is going kn for full superpro kit all round new hard race camber arms new ball joints and a set of meisters... hopkng this will make the car feel like new after