Rear pads

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Is it worth putting decent pads in the rear, for track work?

I've got ds2500 in the front with SPD discs, rears are oe but need replacing before long.

Do the rears produce enough heat to warrant 2500's in the rear? I don't mind the cost, it's the balance under braking I want.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Oem pads do the trick for me. Just got some off ebay for £32 delivered

I run hawk hp+ pads with grooved discs up front. Balance is perfect

MrRy

Advanced Member
Yes, always. If the balance isn't set up with having the same front and rear pads and you just upgrade the fronts, the fronts will work harder than they need to which increases front pad wear and dust, the bias will be set up to work harder up front when it's something you don't want for track (I'd like a little more braking force in the rear) and the rears will be put under more strain as the fronts are more capable, thus increasing rear pad wear too IMO.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
Oem pads do the trick for me. Just got some off ebay for £32 delivered

I run hawk hp+ pads with grooved discs up front. Balance is perfect
What's the stopping power like with the Hawks Mike?

I'm going for the more road friendly HPS ones next month hopefully providing my first increased pay comes through.

Was going to go for the Dixcel's but they're a lot dearer.

kazmo

Advanced Member
i would have said oem rears too, it's how TGM run their race DC5's, and i think they know a bit about it... probably much more than anyone on here knows, maybe on par with C&S hehe

Humm

Advanced Member
OEM items are not good enough for anyone serious on Track, they just brake up under the heat. Just talking from experience of me and a friend.

kazmo

Advanced Member
wow really, i should let uncle Tom know next time i'm there, you must drive harder round track than him then, because obviously he's only been racing DC5's for years haha

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I read the same thing about TGM's racecars. It's possibly comparing apples to pears though, as I'm at stock weight and currently run on re070's. I also don't have a bias adjuster. I would imagine I'm on the middle pedal quite a bit longer than any racecar, even with my lower terminal speed?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Hawk HP+'s provide crazy braking power, really really happy with them on track. On the road they squeal like crazy but i'm not really fussed as I don't drive it much on the road anymore.

I run OEM rear pads, never had an issue on track myself. Have managed to make DS2500's crumble on the front though due to heat...

Humm

Advanced Member
By OEM i mean genuine Honda items, I have had Pagid euro car part ones in before and they were fine. Upto you guys what you want to believe just talking from personal experience i would never buy genuine Honda items again.

Rom

Advanced Member
You can run uprated rears, bit don't run the same as the fronts.
So not DS2500 all round. The rears will never get up to the same temp as the fronts. So you need a lower temperature range pad.

For example I run Project Mu HC+ / 800s front, and 400 rears.
Though oem will cope with track days. It's roughly 70 / 30 split as a guide.
If you ever got the rears to the same temp as the front, you will probably cook the tiny little solid discs!

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'll put a set of 'normal' pads in the rear and see how it goes.

Good info guys, thanks :)

James-T

Advanced Member
DS2500's all round is perfectly fine as the working temperature range is like 0-500c, and the friction coefficient doesn't change much.

It would be a bad idea to fit the same pads all round which required some real temperature in them before they started performing.

Rom

Advanced Member
James T said:
DS2500's all round is perfectly fine as the working temperature range is like 0-500c, and the friction coefficient doesn't change much.

It would be a bad idea to fit the same pads all round which required some real temperature in them before they started performing.
Ah I must have been thinking of the 3000s. If like you say, the working range is the same (low start) then thats fine.
For track use you might use 3000s front and 2500 rear. Thats what i was trying to get at. Upgrade the rears by all means, just not to the same pads (if high temp) as the fronts.

JT some good info there.
Years ago, back on 205s, a lot of people were changing to larger calipers (pistons). Not realising they were actually losing overall efficiency. The larger piston requiring more pedal effort, which would over apply the rears.
My setup ran larger master cylinder, and removed rear compensators to counter act that.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I ended up fitting Textar pads due to time constraints.

They lasted perfectly round the nordschleife for 9 laps, although the 2500's up front need replacing and upgrading as soon as I'm home. Carbon lorraine I think.

I know what you're thinking, and you're right, I did get sub 10 minutes on my first lap on my first visit to the ring. 9:22 on my second and the rest were mega busy with yellow flags. The dc5 is absolute dynamite.

Justintian

Advanced Member
Rom said:
JT some good info there.
Years ago, back on 205s, a lot of people were changing to larger calipers (pistons). Not realising they were actually losing overall efficiency. The larger piston requiring more pedal effort, which would over apply the rears.
My setup ran larger master cylinder, and removed rear compensators to counter act that.
Indeed, very good websit with a lot info for newbee like me to learn and enjoy more from the trackdays...😀😀