Rear screen removal

ste01

Advanced Member
I want to get mine re bonded with a new seal along the top, because mine is starting to perish from the sun.

The guy I spoke to at Auto Glass knew all about the DC5...which was pretty good as even Honda garages are pretty clueless usually... But he warned that the rear screens have a habit of shattering on the way out sometimes because they are so big and curved.

Has anyone on here had theirs removed and re fitted without it smashing?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Yes, a guy from autoglass removed and refitted mine without breaking it. Totally different reasons to you though..

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Am sure the rear seal is stuck to the glass as it sits it folds against the bodywork but I may be wrong?

ste01

Advanced Member
Cheers guys.

Mark_teg said:
Yes, a guy from autoglass removed and refitted mine without breaking it. Totally different reasons to you though..
That's good to hear...what was the reason you had to remove it?

Gordyitrdc5 said:
Am sure the rear seal is stuck to the glass as it sits it folds against the bodywork but I may be wrong?
I think you may be right! Just been trying to have a look with a mirror and it's definitely just stuck to the underside of the glass for most of it. I assumed it was stuck between the metal of the hatch/boot and the glass right the way along. It does go between the metal parts in a couple of places but I think there is a gap between the seal and not bonded to the metal.

The seal I'm changing must only work to minimise water getting in the guttering around the boot and out from the lights whereas there is a second inner seal that actually keeps water from getting in through the rear screen. I'd always thought it did both. Hopefully this will make it an easier job :D

Mark_teg

Staff member
Mine was removed to be changed due to severe scratching.. However, and as mentioned above, when removed there were seals fitted to the old screen which hadn't been supplied with the new one.
They returned at a (much!) later date, removing the old screen for the second time and fitted the new screen with new seals.

HTH :)

ste01

Advanced Member
Thanks again, I'm just hoping there is a way to change the seal/trim without removing the glass. Maybe by removing the entire hatch to allow access to the outer seal then peel it off and attach the new one...will have to see.

I'm probably taking it in later in the week for they guys to look at and see what they think. They said if it's factory fitted and hasn't been out before it is usually easier so hearing about your car is reassuring.