Rear Seats

kylehouseman

Hey,

Quick Question ive been looking at trying to add a middle seatbelt to my rear seats in my type r dc5 as it would just make my car a little bit more practical, Does anyone know if it is even possible and if yes how to do it?

Cheers

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Many of us use the existing mounting points for harnesses while keeping the normal seat belts in place and using the existing bolts as do I, so you should be able to use them as the bolts are quite long. I would have thought you could just use the mounting points of the female clip side of either side.

Pop the lower half of the bench off and have a look, I think its a simple 14mm bolt.

HTH

Mark_teg

Staff member
I think you'll open a big can of worms here.. It's designed, insured and registered as a 4 seater as well don't forget.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
^ This. ^

I believe someone on here a few years ago tried the same and it was so complicated to try and get all the paperwork straight etc.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I would have thought that it would be really uncomfortable for the person using the middle of the seat.

Things to consider;
Safety - For you and the person using the middle seat.
Sight - could you see out of the back with a person sat there?
Comfort - I'm sure the person would be hitting their head on the roof liner as the seat is designed with a Hump in the middle.
Legal - as mentioned, our cars are designed for four people as there are only four seatbelts. If (god forbid) you had an accident and the police and insurance got involved I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about it.

Bit intense I know but just my view.

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
You'll need a certified engineers report done to approve the change in "vehicle seat capacity", many buses have this done over their life time,. then you will need to find an insurance company that will insure an "extensively modified car", not worth the hassle IMO, you'd be better off selling it and getting a built ep3.

Mark_teg

Staff member
k20-outlaw said:
You'll need a certified engineers report done to approve the change in "vehicle seat capacity", many buses have this done over their life time,. then you will need to find an insurance company that will insure an "extensively modified car", not worth the hassle IMO, you'd be better off selling it and getting a built ep3.
Ep3s are also 4 seaters.