Rear shock slight leak?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Car went for MOT today and passed :) but had advisory of rear offside damper has a light misting of oil :(
They are oem dampers with eibach pro springs, what are my options? new oem/new after market/used, tried phoning Tom @ TGM but waiting for a reply, in the meantime any idea's guy's.
Don't want coilovers etc as i like the way it sits and drive's.
Thanks

T.G.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I had this problem a awhile back, options are new or second hand pair of shocks or aftermarket coilovers or dampers. Unfortunately the damper can't be fixed or overhauled as it's a sealed unit. I bought a rear pair for my facelift for it think £120. If you search k
Leaking rear damper, the old thread should come up.
HTH dudeee

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Alexander0628 said:
I had this problem a awhile back, options are new or second hand pair of shocks or aftermarket coilovers or dampers. Unfortunately the damper can't be fixed or overhauled as it's a sealed unit. I bought a rear pair for my facelift for it think £120. If you search k
Leaking rear damper, the old thread should come up.
HTH dudeee
Yeah thanks for that, i found your thread, which ones did you go for in the end? new or used.

T.G.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Used buddy, bought a full set of shocks and stripped them down just for the dampers, just remember you should change both when it comes to shocks.

Tbh it's a part that people swap out for coilovers all the time and sell the oem ones on, so just have a good look around, on here, ebay jap performance parts ect

Rom

Advanced Member
Its a well known legend, always replace in pairs.
But in reality, ive been fixing cars for 16 years, and ive never changed a pair. Aside from fitting a new kit, coilovers, or uprated shocks etc.

No customer has ever said 'please change the non leaking one' when given the option.
Warranty will never pay for a pair.

I myself, dont buy into it. There are so many parts that should theoretically be changed together, calipers, handbrake cables, springs, shocks, brake hoses, the list goes on.

Im not saying anyone is wrong, just my input and opinion.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
in that case i know someone with a used shock as i bought the nearside one off him ;)

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
in that case i know someone with a used shock as i bought the nearside one off him ;)
Are they sided then? as in there is a left and right.

Thanks.

T.G.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Thanks for the input Rom, i would put a second-hand one on but wouldn't mind putting a pair of new ones on as well, just wondering how much OEM newuns are, and are there any aftermarket ones available? Iv'e done a google and cant find nowt.

T.G.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Don't think they are sided mate, no. Well...when I changed my suspension I couldn't see a difference. :)
Here is a picture of both mine for reference

(Also you could consider the Bilstein B8 for the EP3,? just get some 1mm washers for the bushes at the bottom To fit them to a dc5)

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
I managed to speak to Tom @ TGM this morning and we both agreed that using second-hand parts can be a bit of a mine field, he hasn't any anyways so he is going to price up some Bilsteins ;) got some other minor stuff i need doing so looks like it'll be a trip to Fleet soon :)

If anyone has the rear Bilsteins fitted it would be good to hear feedback. Thanks.

T.G.