Recent bmw x5 paint correction/protection detail!!!

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Just posted this on the detailing world forum but thought some of you may be interested on here, just so you
can see the great results that can be achieved by machine polishing!!!

Well at 7:30 last thursday evening i had this X5 to do and after a quick wash didnt look to bad...

Next morning the sun revealed how wrong i was...

on closer inspection...

Headlights were really cloudy too.

Clayed the whole car and i was amazed at how much grime came off the paintwork!

Put the car in the garage and started on the bonnet. not the best 50/50 shot but you get the idea.

Another 50/50 shot on the front arch, you can see the paintwork has much more depth and removed all the nasty swirls which is what we want ;)

Gave the headlights a machine polish and got rid of all the horrible cloudy haze.

A few pics after machine polishing.

On with the HD Wax.

Gave the wipers and exterior plastics a new lease of life.

Before.

After.

Before.

After looking nice and new again.

And finally some pics in the sun to show the swirls are gone and how the paint shines ;)

No more swirls and much better 'flake pop'

Super reflections and paintwork looks much more glossy.

Comments welcome :)

Cheers

jambo

Advanced Member
top was as always dan. Love to look through this work. Bet they was pleased with the results. How do you rate the HD wax?

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Thanks jambo Yeah they was, really impressed with the HD wax so easy to apply and buffs off effortlessly, gives fantastic beading too ;)

Ek9.

Very nice, how long would it take you to remove the swirls from a panel? I heard that bmw clear coats are hard. Do you apply pressure on machine polisher or let it glide over the paint?
Thanks

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Cheers mate, The swirls were quite deep so I spent roughly just over an hour on the bonnet and I put slight pressure on the machine polisher.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I've always wondered how clay bars work, surely dragging it over your paint is gonna drag all the crap over your paint too ?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
LiamGTR said:
I've always wondered how clay bars work, surely dragging it over your paint is gonna drag all the crap over your paint too ?
Take a look at a kit. Will explain how it works.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Excellent detail, well done.

LiamGTR said:
It's all about Lubrication, lol. Same way engine oil works..... or KY Jelly, ha ha.....

You get the idea. It's all about reducing friction which minimises any damage.

Some use water, but it's always best to use a dedicated spray lube when claying.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:
Excellent detail, well done.

It's all about Lubrication, lol. Same way engine oil works..... or KY Jelly, ha ha.....

You get the idea. It's all about reducing friction which minimises any damage.

Some use water, but it's always best to use a dedicated spray lube when claying.
So lubing whilst claying minimises friction and stops things scraping around the paint whilst claying?

So simple