Recommend a DAB stereo

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm going to ditch the Appradio as it's pants and I want something that will actually pick up digital stations.

Halfords have some DAB radios going cheap, not all are double DIN mind so DD would be my preference.

Can anyone recommend a good stereo for up to £200 please?

Not overly bothered about amazing sound as long as it can pick up channels.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
I got the Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB CD/DVD Tuner and I love it. Nothing at all to complain about.
Thanks buddy, looks decent that.

You happy with it?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Couldn't agree less.

All recent pioneer products have been so underwhelming, and the user interface is terrible.

I have an appradio which I hate, the one mentioned above my mate has in his m3 and he dislikes that, I've borrowed it for 2 weeks and it's just as naff (the player not the car lol).

Sound quality on the pioneer was also worse than my Sony single din unit! The eq functions are useless and it can be laggy too.

Personally, I would / am going to do this.

Go on Amazon and look up pumpkin head unit, they are android ones so operate like a tablet basically and you can a dab adapter for them.

Go on the ice section here and there was a thread about these a few months ago, few people on here have them and say they are great.

Also they aren't stupidly overpriced, and as it's amazon if it breaks it's simple to get your monies back.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Couldn't agree less.

All recent pioneer products have been so underwhelming, and the user interface is terrible.

I have an appradio which I hate, the one mentioned above my mate has in his m3 and he dislikes that, I've borrowed it for 2 weeks and it's just as naff (the player not the car lol).

Sound quality on the pioneer was also worse than my Sony single din unit! The eq functions are useless and it can be laggy too.

Personally, I would / am going to do this.

Go on Amazon and look up pumpkin head unit, they are android ones so operate like a tablet basically and you can a dab adapter for them.

Go on the ice section here and there was a thread about these a few months ago, few people on here have them and say they are great.

Also they aren't stupidly overpriced, and as it's amazon if it breaks it's simple to get your monies back.
I thought you meant you couldn't agree with my post lol.

Hmmmmm, doesn't sound good.

I must admit the interface on my unit is dross but the one on the above Linus has looks a lot better.

The sounds of my Appradio is good and I have no qualms about that whatsoever but I simply want something that will pick up DAB. Was reading about the DAB adapaters yesterday.

You know that Pumpkin unit, do you need a rooted phone to get it work as I can't be doing with all that nonsense?

I just want a unit that you can turn on and it will play DAB digital radio channels.

Thanks.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I thought you meant you couldn't agree with my post lol.

Hmmmmm, doesn't sound good.

I must admit the interface on my unit is dross but the one on the above Linus has looks a lot better.

The sounds of my Appradio is good and I have no qualms about that whatsoever but I simply want something that will pick up DAB. Was reading about the DAB adapaters yesterday.

You know that Pumpkin unit, do you need a rooted phone to get it work as I can't be doing with all that nonsense?

I just want a unit that you can turn on and it will play DAB digital radio channels.

Thanks.
Sound is all subjective of course but that's just my opinion.

I've not got any personal experience with the pumpkin so I'm not sure.

As far as I understand it has nothing to do with your phone. It's like it's own unit just that it uses android operating system.

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
I also have a Pioneer x3600 in my Accord and agree more with Linus.

The sound is excellent in my opinion, might be to do with the amp, crossover and speaker system in the Accord but I doubt it. The equaliser and other sound functions work pretty well and are easy to use, unlike the Alpine units I used to prefer that required a lot more tweaking about (although were also much better sounding)

The user interface is basic, which is ideal for a head unit that you don't really want to be playing around with whilst driving. My wife gets on with it great and she's the one that uses the DAB etc.

The only thing I've found laggy with it is trying to skip through tracks too quickly over bluetooth, and sometime my iPod crashes if I skip too many tracks. But to be honest, I've had that since 2006 and it crashed with my one Alpine unit aswell.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Linus27

Advanced Member
I will also add that it has so many options to tune the sound to your liking. Anything from a group of presets to make it easy (powerful, bass heavy, felt etc., a graphic eq to fine tune exactly what you want as well as various frequency tuning options to boost various frequencies.

spooke

Advanced Member
I'm using a Kenwood DPX-406DAB, I think it's now discontinued though. It's not super fancy but it has all I need including Bluetooth and I think it suits the interior nicely... I can get you a photo if you wanted.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Had the Pioneer X 3500, the previous version of the X 3600 since it 1st came out and it's fine. Got a free dab aerial from Halfords @ the time of purchase and it's worked brilliantly from day one. It connects seamlessly to my Nexus 6p via Bluetooth and via USB cable to my ipod. Dead easy to use and sounds spot on. I use the dab function for nearly all my radio listening and even with the free aerial it hangs on to all the national stations very well, even on my trips from Sunderland to Dunfermline on the countryside twisties when I visit my Son. If the X 3600 is anywhere near as good as the older X 3500 then I'd highly recommend it 👍