Recommendations on air filters

cameroon95

Advanced Member
Hey gents,
Looking to either change or improve my existing setup- which is a HSK super flow air filter with no shielding.
I don't really want to spend hundreds of pounds on some fancy air filter that only adds a few extra bhp but I am aware that there are far better air filters than the HKS one.

So basically which ones are best?

Many thanks guys

Benny-coupe

Advanced Member
Top 3 would be
gruppe m(tegiwa do a copy of this also)
J's racing induction kit(most expensive)
Password JDM (will need battery relocation)
ARC induction kit(aluminium Box with good gains)
Aem cold air intake. Located behind the bumper corner , possibility of destroying with water
And several more
A couple of the guys mentioned they are doing a gruppe m group buy
Also you could take the hondata airbox mod with an uprated panel filter

Mark_teg

Staff member
Top 3 would be
gruppe m(tegiwa do a copy of this also)
J's racing induction kit(will need battery relocation)
Password JDM (will need battery relocation)
ARC induction kit(aluminium Box with good gains)
Aem cold air intake. Located behind the bumper corner , possibility of destroying with water
And several more
A couple of the guys mentioned they are doing a gruppe m group buy
Also you could take the hondata airbox mod with an uprated panel filter
J's doesn't need battery re-locating.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hondata mod with either a Spoon drop in filter or Do luck filter. Both will give good gains.

dotty

Advanced Member
Hondata mod with either a Spoon drop in filter or Do luck filter. Both will give good gains.
By good you mean a maximum of 1hp? :)

If you want to see noticeable gains you really need kpro/header/rbc/air induction/good catback.

Drop in filters won't see a gain its just convenient as they don't need replacing.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Value for money it's got to be Tegiwa surely? Best filter is one in an enclosure with some sort of cold air feed (ram intakes) that avoids heat soak.

I have the J's, it's awesome and when the car is on the move, you really can feel the ram air effect, pick up is much better over OEM.
Not cheap at all though!

I would suggest some sort of enclosed system with a cold air feed over anything else either way, heat soak is best to be avoided in my opinion.

Foam filters generally allow more air to pass through than the standard paper type. I saw dyno gains with a do-luck foam filter over the OEM one.

The key to it all is de-restriction, but the DC5 is so well tuned already, chasing gains through changing filters wont see much change at all.
But reducing heat soak using a cold air feed will see you gain back bhp you may have been loosing in the summer months.

So you may want to look at an enclosed induction system with a cold air feed :)

Ultimately you cant beat a completely open filter in the winter, but it's not ideal during the summer...

cameroon95

Advanced Member
Just to clarify, im not expecting huge gains from a new filter. Just aware of the limitations the open filter has in the hotter temperatures.

Im thinking of going to the stock airbox and using a spoon filter if that is possible?

Also can I use the EP3 airbox on my DC5?

Benny-coupe

Advanced Member
Yes there identical from what I have been told , however one of the pipes into it are s different length or something

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Tbh I don't think as said with alot of supporting mods you're going to get massive gains imo.

I think when choosing an air filter for me personally it will be about how loud it makes the crossover sound. :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Just to clarify, im not expecting huge gains from a new filter. Just aware of the limitations the open filter has in the hotter temperatures.

Im thinking of going to the stock airbox and using a spoon filter if that is possible?

Also can I use the EP3 airbox on my DC5?
That's what I have got plus the Hondata mod.

Stu I know your not going to get massive gains from just a drop in filter. IIRC Ian managed to get 4BHP from his Do luck filter.

You need to do a lot to get any kind of gains from these cars. But I don't think that's what your getting at.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeah standard box with the drop in spoon filter will be fine, but I would recommend the do-luck filter as it's made of foam like the spoon, but is 60% cheaper than the Spoon Filter. As Gok said, I got about 3.5bhp from my Do-Luck due to the less restrictive foam construction. I actually had it on the dyno.

http://www.itr-dc5.c...christmas-deal/

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
What's wrong with the HKS filter by the way?

I've been recommended something like the HKS, but a larger version so when it gets dirty, there is still adequate surface area available.

With both the Tegiwa intake, and Apexi cone intake, datalogging on Kpro I've only managed up to about -0.8 to -1 psi at full throttle, high revs (atmospheric should ideally achieve 0.0).

JoSh

I've gone with the Hondata mod and K&N filter.

It's a fairly cheap alternative and as my car will be used daily I like the re-charge kit available for the K&N filter!

When I get chance too i'll be chopping the black plastic part on top of the front grill and doing a DIY ram air style kit! If I was going to go after market, i'd probably lean towards the Tegiwa, but i've got more important mods on my list to do first & if I was going to be totally legit id inform the insurance when changing the airbox - so thats another benefit of the Hondata mod!

Josh..

sascha_nijs

doesn't mugen make a air-intake? i've heared crazy sh!t about people i know that drive a dc2, added a mugen airbox and really felt the difference

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I swapped from my AEM V2 to the mugen box and love it feels brilliant through the revs really smooth.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I have an Aem cai
I absolutely love it
Sounds amazing, I've read it gives good gains too (for an air filter)
Just don't drive through lakes