Registration plate transfer

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Hi there

Wondered if anyone can help. Still trying to sort a ref plate out which I'm ready to pay for but just want to make sure I'm going through the right process.

The seller is awaiting payment and has said the plate is on retention to which he has the paperwork to prove he has the rights and shown me the photo. The seller has said he's already paid the fee so it's ready to transfer straight over onto my car.

Does this make sense to anyone ?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Sounds about right to me.

When a private plate is removed from a car it is put on retention (Costs £80 or £120 can't remember) and this means that the plate is still owned by registered keeper but is not currently assigned to a car, so it sits in limbo until you either sell or put it back on your car.

The plate will remain in this state until you're transferring ownership (selling) or keeping it and assigning it to another car you own.

In terms of the current owner already paying the fee to transfer, this is correct as it's included in the original retention fee.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Many thanks for the advice. All does seem legit but have been advised not to do any transfer through a private sale as there is no protection anywhere and PayPal doesn't cover protection for licences :-( shame man it was a good plate

Chewy

Advanced Member
No worries mate.

I agree, It is very risky and not something you can protect yourself against should the seller not be honest.

It's one of those where you'd want to meet and be present during the transition, or pay only when the plate transfer arrives in your name, but getting the seller to agree to that is another ball game.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Totally agree, had to walk away which sucks but more money for mods that will make me go faster lol