Relocating Fog Light from Reverse Light

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the method is for relocating the fog light in the rear cluster? :-k

At the moment my fog light is hooked into the right side reverse light with a red tinted plastic instead of the standard clear reverse plastic.

I seem to remember my old DC5 had the fog light hooked into one of the brake light housings, but I can't seem to find any information on how to do this on the forum or on t'internet (RSX or DC5).

For some reason all the DIY guides from George Type-S have been removed (guessing he got pissed that people were contacting him directly after his guides or something), so I can't see any of the info on there now either, and the search hasn't been much use either.

Reason I ask, is that I think the new Teg i'm picking up is going to have the fog build into the reverse light cluster again, whilst this isn't as bad as having it cut into the bumper or hanging off the bottom, i'd really like to keep the symmetry of the rear cluster and have both reverse lights clear plastic.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this and whether it's a difficult job? I think Andy from 200bhp did this on my Milano when it was imported.

Found a shot of my old Milano Teg:

Blue Current

Or am I talking complete blue waffle?

Cheers

Advanced Member
Has anyone done the diode setup as suggested towards the end of that thread?

If not, long shot, does anyone have (or could take)a photo of the cluster and wiring setup with the diodes on one that 200bhp have wired up as can't seem to get hold of Andy?

Ok if anyone else is looking for wiring diagrams:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17744&hilit=Fog+Light+Diode&start=15

Just need to find out which diodes they are now :xlol:

Diodes:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/rectifier-diode-19079?itag=spec&doy=21m10#spec

Advanced Member
That would be great bud, thanks. =D> xthumbup

Been trying to piece it together here from old threads as there doesn't appear to have been a clear guide on how to do it with the diode system, so hopefully anyone else wanting to do it can use this thread as a base for the info. xthumbup

Marpol

Advanced Member
No problem, its pretty straight forward from what I remember.

Pics should make it clear ;)

Marpol

Advanced Member
As promised this is how to wire your fog into the drivers side inside brake light...

image.jpeg

Solder the first diode inline on the 12v brake light wire (white)
Solder the second diode to the end of the 12v wire from your fog light switch and splice it in above the first diode

With the fog light switched on the inside drivers side brake light will come on to act as the fog light, when the brakes are pressed the other three brake lights will come on to join it and when the fog light is switched off all four brake lights work as normal.

Hope this helps 8)

Advanced Member
Excellent :)

Exactly what I needed thanks so much mate. =D>

Might ask the mods to stick this in the DIY section for future reference as this seems to be the most popular and requested fog light install.

Thanks again!

vtecpang

Advanced Member
After a veteran dc5 owner told me last week about the rear brake lights(4 not 2) I decided to search and found this thread.

Did the modification today and well chuffed with the result. Didn't take long either.

So thanks to Marpol for the parts list, Instruction and diagram!

Top man!!

:xcheers:

Advanced Member
Nope not according to the garage I take mine too apparently it's a well known mod and is legal after an SVA. Unless I just have sympathetic MOT tester?

Marpol

Advanced Member
So thanks to Marpol for the parts list, Instruction and diagram!

Top man!!

No problem :D happy to help

Surely wiring it up to the brake light is illegal, how will it pass an MOT?
Ill admit ive not had an MOT since doing this (due next month) but I believe 200bhp Cars do this to all their tegs before they sell them with no problems.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Iv just bought a set of these diodes to do this mod.
Can anyone tell me how to wire the switch up on the dash board please.

Do I need a relay or can I just go 12v live into switch with an earth to bulb??
I have very basic wiring experience.

Thanks
James.

Gpack

Hi guys

Once you've done the mod, do all 4 brake lights still work as brake lights ?
Or is one of them now a permanent fog light ? Just wondered if the mod covered both

Greg

Advanced Member
Yes all 4 still work as brake lights.

The fog light only alters the lighting when the switch is armed making one of the brake lights permanently on while the switch is armed.

clanny

I did this mod today and it works a treat. Many thanks to the guys who have contributed.

I'd lik eto add something though as it caught me out and for a while had me scratching my head.

My fog light power had been taken from the mirror controls, namley a red/blk wire for power and blk for ground. Once I'd wiored it all up, the brake lights worked fine but nothing from the fog. Tracing back, I had no power on the red/blk wire. I checked the fuse (no 2 10A in the engine bay) which was fine, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't find a fault nor 12v. Now it struck me that it must have had 12v at some point and the fog must have worked previously or it wouldn't have passed the MOT so, out with the wiring diagram. The red/blk wire powers the light within the mirror switch and that was when I twigged. The miror button light will only light up at night (i.e. when you have your lights on). Once I switched on the lights, I got 12V and the fogs worked a treat.

Just thought I'd write it up a little so that no-one else wasted a couple of hours scratching their head and getting skelfs!

Stoo

Whining.....
That's how it should be.

Fed off an illumination feed so that the fog Light will only work when the lights are on.