Removal defi gauges?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to put this so please move to a better section if required.

I would like to take my gauges and control box out of the old teg and into the new.

These were already installed when I got the car so I haven't got a clue.

Are there sensors in the engine bay I should be looking for too?

And the cables are all neatly tucked behind the dash, so can I just remove the gauges and leave the cables in place, or is it expensive to get new cables?

Cheers

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Defi parts are very expensive.

I'm assuming you have water temp, oil temp and oil pressure. All 3 sensors will be in the engine bay, water temp most likely on the water hose off the top of the radiator, the oil pressure and temp either off a sandwich plate or off a T-In where the OEM pressure gauge it and the sump plug.

These wires will all come through the bulkhead into the car behind the dash. The gauges will tap into a 12v feed, a negative and maybe a "lights on" cable from dim function at night,.

Should be easy enough to trace and remove.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
had a look at this tonight, and the cables seem really well hidden / tucked away behind the console, and it seems like a hell of a lot of work to remove these :(

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Best bet it to look in the engine bay and find where they come into the cabin. If they come in the same hole as the main car harness (behind the oem airbox) then if you drop the glovebox then it is really quite easy.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Best bet it to look in the engine bay and find where they come into the cabin. If they come in the same hole as the main car harness (behind the oem airbox) then if you drop the glovebox then it is really quite easy.
great advice, thanks :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
ok so i've traced them, and without jacking the car up i cant see the oil ones, so ive started with the water one for now and come across this.... am i going to need a new hose to replace this if i remove it / is it gonna piss water everywhere lol

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Id say you will need a new hose, used ones should be cheap. Which will mean needing to top up and bleed the cooling system at minimum.

Other option is, if you find out what thread the sensor if you might be able to rotate the bit in the hose vertically and just take the sensor out and plug it.

Type K

Advanced Member
Iv got defi gauges and the power supply is wired in to the loom that goes to the head unit. also there should be a sandwich plate between the oil filter and engine block (oil sensors) which the cables will run to

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Type K said:
Iv got defi gauges and the power supply is wired in to the loom that goes to the head unit. also there should be a sandwich plate between the oil filter and engine block (oil sensors) which the cables will run to
does this mean that i need to remove the oil filter to get to the sandwich plate?

cheers

MrRy

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
does this mean that i need to remove the oil filter to get to the sandwich plate?

cheers
Yes matey, you'll need a new top hose, and to remove / replace the oil filter as it will most probably have a sandwich plate for the ports, so worth removing all this stuff and servicing the car at the same time potentially.

I've got the same setup. When i stripped the car for inspection, I moved my wires as mine were going right under the carpet!

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
Yes matey, you'll need a new top hose, and to remove / replace the oil filter as it will most probably have a sandwich plate for the ports, so worth removing all this stuff and servicing the car at the same time potentially.

I've got the same setup. When i stripped the car for inspection, I moved my wires as mine were going right under the carpet!
well i am buggered then as the car has just been serviced, i dont have a spare hose nor the technical ability to do any of this lol!