Removal of genuine mugen gearknob

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

As I am returning my car to standard form and it is currently off the road for another few days I want to fit my OEM gear knob I have purchased. At the moment I have a genuine Mugen one in the as in the below pictures, I see these new are just shy of £80 so I want to remove it without damaging it, has anyone got or had one of these and know how to remove it?

Thanks

Carl

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
See the hole in the lower collar? You insert a dowel into that and turn; this releases the knob to be unscrewed from the shifter.

When the gearknob was new it was supplied with an aluminium dowel to install/remove it. I am guessing you don't have this?

In this case you need to find something that will fit into the hole. The collar will need to be turned clockwise.

Stevie

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks Stevie

Unfortunately it was in the car when it came over form Japan so no dowel (unless its somewhere hidden in the car). I have looked and the hole is a normal size for most small Allen keys so I will put some tape around one and then use that so it does not damage the collar at all, may even have some metal to fit but will have a look.

Thanks