Removing air assist valve

wocka

Advanced Member
Removed my air assist valve over the weekend and thought i would post this to anyone else who wants to do it for cheap

I snapped part of mine when fitting my inlet manifold so read up on the net that you can remove it and all will be ok,i know you can just leave the sensor it but i thought much cleaner look to just blank it, i saw k tuned do a kit for £20+

I thought this was abit expensive for a blanker for the sensor and a blanker for the inlet so i hunted round and eventually came across the size of the sensors thread, which is 3/8" NPT
I went on ebay and got a blanker for £3 delivered and found a rubber blanker for my inlet in my toolbox :) these will also be available on ebay for quite cheap

Very easy to fit, just unscrew the sensor (its a pain to get the spanner on) and screw the blanker in, i used some ptfe to make sure it was a good seal then just blank off your inlet and inlet hose where they attatched to the sensor and all done :)

This is more information on the blanker size but hope it helps someone out :)

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I just ordered the K-tuned kit for £18, if only you posted this earlier you would saved me £15 haha.

I always hated this air assist hose getting in the way of cleaning, and also mines been broken for years, and sucking in unfiltered air during a cold start, can't wait to get rid of this thing, makes the engine more tidy looking.

donzooo

Advanced Member
No adverse effects by removing this valve?

How would this affect idle during a cold start?

wocka

Advanced Member
Mine idles around 2k from cold and drops back to normal once warm. Only thing i noticed was the revs dont drop off straight away when i lift off the throttle but i cant see it being linked, just coincidence, must of knocked tps or something

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
I'm now starting to wonder if my air assist valve is broken/leaking, I have a loud sucking sound when started cold, goes away when the engine heats a little, also the rev's don't drop right away like you said, I've fitted an RBC manifold so maybe it's not been working since then.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Garage who did my engine work broke mine and badly glued it back together.

iTunes kit later and it's gone and not faced any issues since ;)

Gordon

integraleo

Advanced Member
Mine broke when fitting teg m intake. There was no adverse affects though. However since fitting supercharger I now have no cold start at all!! It is a different tb ( oem from civic type r but tb housing has been widened ) I swapped iacv over from my own one which is less than a year old and it's not fixed the issue. Coolant temperature sensor replaced as my radiator fans were kicking in really early and staying on. It fixed that issue but not my cold start.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Mine broke when fitting teg m intake. There was no adverse affects though. However since fitting supercharger I now have no cold start at all!! It is a different tb ( oem from civic type r but tb housing has been widened ) I swapped iacv over from my own one which is less than a year old and it's not fixed the issue. Coolant temperature sensor replaced as my radiator fans were kicking in really early and staying on. It fixed that issue but not my cold start.
My cold start had been laboured since new ECU went on and then all the additional work to get all the power out of it but I've learned to live with it lol

Gordon