Removing Brembo callipers

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I would like to remove my Brembo's as they need fully re-painting; I have read the guides people have done on doing it with them on the car, however mine need quite a lot of work so taking them off would be better.

I cant find a guide on removing callipers on the site. do I need to bleed the system first?, can I crimp the cables (bearing in mind I have braided hoses)

Any help would be most appreciated.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
If it were my dc5 and I knew I couldn't re paint the calipers without removal then I'd bleed off the system remove as necessary, re paint and then re assemble and bleed with fresh fluid. I definatley wouldn't be clamping your braided lines and its never a bad thing to have some fresh fluid

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
If it were my dc5 and I knew I couldn't re paint the calipers without removal then I'd bleed off the system remove as necessary, re paint and then re assemble and bleed with fresh fluid. I definatley wouldn't be clamping your braided lines and its never a bad thing to have some fresh fluid
Thanks for the confirmation Olly that's what I was thinking.

T

Tegiwa Imports

You can't clamp braided lines mate, not without permanently damaging them. Your best bet is to take them off the caliper and get them as high as possible to minimize fluid loss. Cable tieing them to a coil is good but you've got to protect the coil from dripping brake fluid. You bleed it when it's all back together mate.

Matt

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
my advice is not clamp the hoses (it will damage them) and not to drain the system when removing the calipers as tegiwa state, once disconnected from the calipers, put them as high as possible with some poly bags on the end. also DO not remove the fluid res cap either as the fluid will flow more freely down the hose.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
hi all, sorry to revive an old thread but this weekend (hopefully) I will get around to fitting my new brakes, Stock Discs, Dixel ES pads all round and Red Hel Braided lines. The callipers need a repaint so this is the prime time whilst everythings off and the system is bled of fluid so was wondering if anyone could help me with the below.

1) A link to removing the Brembo's / how to refurbish them etc
2) A link to the required Brembo stickers I would need to apply to them post painting
3) Details of what I would need to do in order to repaint them and ensure they stay nice (what paint, Lacquer to use etc) if I can do all this myself
4) Anything else you'd recommend or can advise of to help me with doing this as never done it before

Also at present I have Dot 4 fluid and was thinking of going to Dot 5.1 so it's ready for track going forward, any advice on what fluid to put in it (brand etc or ay Dot 5.1 ok)?

Thanks in advance

Carl

spooke

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
hi all, sorry to revive an old thread but this weekend (hopefully) I will get around to fitting my new brakes, Stock Discs, Dixel ES pads all round and Red Hel Braided lines. The callipers need a repaint so this is the prime time whilst everythings off and the system is bled of fluid so was wondering if anyone could help me with the below.

1) A link to removing the Brembo's / how to refurbish them etc
2) A link to the required Brembo stickers I would need to apply to them post painting
3) Details of what I would need to do in order to repaint them and ensure they stay nice (what paint, Lacquer to use etc) if I can do all this myself
4) Anything else you'd recommend or can advise of to help me with doing this as never done it before

Also at present I have Dot 4 fluid and was thinking of going to Dot 5.1 so it's ready for track going forward, any advice on what fluid to put in it (brand etc or ay Dot 5.1 ok)?

Thanks in advance

Carl
Any how to on refurbing brake calipers will do, you can probably find the Brembo decal on eBay.

Regarding fluid I'd recommend Motul RBF660.

carl hammond

Advanced Member

spooke

Advanced Member

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Probably easier to just measure your current ones, fluid wise you need 1L which should be enough to do your clutch too.
Thanks mate, I only recently did the clutch fluid but went and used OEM Honda DOT 4 so maybe I should also change that whilst it's apart.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Go for motul rbf600 or rbf660 brake fluid, expensive but worth it.
Worth using this for the clutch also over the current Honda stuff? if so 2 ltr's enough for brakes and clutch ?

thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If you are going the whole hog, coat the calipers in this while you are there.

http://carboncollective.com/product/platinum-wheels-coating/
Awesome mate thanks

Does anyone know if I am right in saying this is the process.

Remove Calipers
use some paint remover of some kind (brake cleaner and wire brush to get them as clean and remove as much old paint as possible)
Clean again
Let them dry
Paint them the desired colour (Red as sticking OEM) let dry, do again 3 times
Then use the sealant in the link from Kyle'87

Is any lacquer required or just paint and seal?

I also have poorboys wheel sealant to also apply

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Could always try ATE Type 200 fluid Carl, recently did the same work on mine and 1.5-2L is required for a good flush of the system.

I managed to get 2L of the type 200 fluid for £23 click and collect from my local euro car parts, same as ATE Blue but without the blue dye (something to do with compliance with DOT standards not allowing dye in the fluid).

I degreased the callipers, prepped them with 320 grit aluminium oxide paper, wiped with alcohol based wipes and painted with VHT red caliper paint followed by VHT clear coat, left them 24hrs then applied ebay decals. General word on the street is not to take them back to bare metal as they come with a black anodised finish beneath the paint which helps with heat dissipation.

Tried a dummy run of lacquering the decals on some steel plate and they wrinkled and just peeled off so will just go with replacing the decals when they get tatty after a year or so as you get 10 in the pack.....

carl hammond

Advanced Member
GIBLETS said:
Could always try ATE Type 200 fluid Carl, recently did the same work on mine and 1.5-2L is required for a good flush of the system.

I managed to get 2L of the type 200 fluid for £23 click and collect from my local euro car parts, same as ATE Blue but without the blue dye (something to do with compliance with DOT standards not allowing dye in the fluid).

I degreased the callipers, prepped them with 320 grit aluminium oxide paper, wiped with alcohol based wipes and painted with VHT red caliper paint followed by VHT clear coat, left them 24hrs then applied ebay decals. General word on the street is not to take them back to bare metal as they come with a black anodised finish beneath the paint which helps with heat dissipation.

Tried a dummy run of lacquering the decals on some steel plate and they wrinkled and just peeled off so will just go with replacing the decals when they get tatty after a year or so as you get 10 in the pack.....
Cheers mate, don't suppose you have a link to the stickers you used do you?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I bought the ones in the below link, they turned out to be a touch bigger than OEM though but you can barely notice, infact I kinda prefer them that size....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-brembo-brake-caliper-decals-stickers-graphics/200594635062?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Awesome mate thanks very much, I would rather slightly bigger with loads of spares for less £'s than the original size with no spares and nearly twice the price :)

Brought thanks :)