Removing light scratches and swirl marks by hand

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I found that Meguiars Ultimate Compound does an amazing job by HAND at removing light scratches and swirls from your paintwork.

I used a foam applicator pad to work the Compound into the paint in a circular motion with some pressure.

Afterwards I just wiped away the excess using a clean microfiber and was stunned at the very easily achieved results!

Be sure to wax the paintwork afterwards because the compound will remove any you had on there previously.

The more times you do it, the better the result. 8) 3 times would be enough though I think.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Just goes to show you can get the same results by hand as you can with a machine polisher, it just takes a lot longer by hand as you probably need to go over it more than once!

larz

Advanced Member
What causes swirls in paintwork? I've never had swirls on any of my cars thankfully...

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
larz said:
What causes swirls in paintwork? I've never had swirls on any of my cars thankfully...
Dirty cloths that contain small bits of grit is the usual cause. These are then used as polishing cloths and they badly scratch the paint.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
civicjordan281 said:
need to get me some of that then mines worse than urs prothos :? #-o :xcry:
Don't worry, it's an easy fix, just follow the instructions on the back 8)

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
sweet were did you get it from mate??? in the right light my eye catches all the swirl marks :xcry:
hopeing to get a little bit of paint work done before japfest so might get it machined polished at the same time :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
civicjordan281 said:
sweet were did you get it from mate??? in the right light my eye catches all the swirl marks :xcry:
hopeing to get a little bit of paint work done before japfest so might get it machined polished at the same time :)
That was my thinking, then my paintwork was messed up by the painters :lol: getting it re-done at TGM though thankfully.

W 70M C

Advanced Member
larz said:

Along with dirty towels etc 90% of the swirls are inflicted in the washing process. In crude terms, a flat surface of a sponge and a flat panel...trapped dirt and salt are moved over the panel and casue swirls. Baically, use anything with a deep pile, wash mitt or even an old hand towel, something..anything that allows the grit to escape the surface. Its important to note as well, you will never fully illiminate the problem but its about steming it as much as poissible!

P.S....great job Porthos! :D