Removing Light Scratches from Glass.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Noticed (and so have others!) that my rear quarter Drivers side window is covered in scratches. You can't feel them with your nail, but they are very noticeable in the sun/under camera flash.

Glass scratches are probably the HARDEST scratches to remove!

I attempted to polish them out with some Ultimate Compound using my Meguiars G220 V2 DA at about 6000rpm, lol, but to no avail (pic below), I clearly needed something a lot more aggressive for glass!

Found this little gem on Amazon:

Windscreen Scratch Repair Kit for Light Scratches, but they also do a kit for deeper ones.
Cost was £15.99

So, you get 2 x 3" Polishing pads, a 3" velcro backing plate for attaching to a Drill, a clean cloth for removing product and a bottle of Glass Polish (Cerium Oxide).

The instructions say you can use a Drill with a speed of up to 2500 rpm, I only have Drills in excess of 2800+ so decided to see if I could mount my DA to it, luckily I have a 3" backing plate for my DA to which the kit's supplied polishing pads fit PERFECT! Gotta love Velcro!

Anyway, I just followed the instructions in the kit, I used a teaspoon amount of product on the pad and wet with water accordingly when the product dried out, making sure to overlap and move slowly across the glass to avoid excessive heat, keep an eye on that, just polish the glass for a minute or two, then wipe down. I used Speed 2 on the DA, which is about 2800, but because it's Dual Action as opposed to using a Drill for a rotary effect, I figured this would be fine. I also masked off any rubber parts incase the Glass Polish was excessively aggressive.

I made about 8-10 passes, with 2 applications of product while occasionally wetting the pad with water.

Well, the results speak for themselves!

Hardly any signs of scratches, just some deeper ones still exist, but as you can see, the glass is much much better! So a thumbs up from me on this little kit! I would say there is enough to do every window on the car if needs be. Great Stuff!

If you do have a go yourself, take your time! Inspect the glass after every couple of passes.

Enjoy :)

Before and After:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeah not too bad! You don't get a lot of the polish stuff but then you only need use a little.

H105Daz

Advanced Member
My rear quarter glass is covered in what looks like splodges .. almost the same pattern as what rain drops leave when dried, but i cannot remove them when washing and polishing. Looks like lacquer has been sprayed on. You can only see it at certain angles tho, might try this.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
My drivers rear quarter is clean but in the right light you can make out the word 'fast' in it! Lol will need to do this to mine to get rid of it I think.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
My rear quarter glass is covered in what looks like splodges .. almost the same pattern as what rain drops leave when dried, but i cannot remove them when washing and polishing. Looks like lacquer has been sprayed on. You can only see it at certain angles tho, might try this.
Sounds like you need to clay your glass.

Nice write up P - great results :)