Removing Strut with Poly Bushed Wishbone

gaza4

Advanced Member
I need to do the top mounts on my front suspension so the struts need to come out. Only problem is getting them back in. Since I got the wishbone poly bushed it's really hard to push down to get the strut back in place.

Anyone any tips???

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Try harder? :lol:

But seriously it shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to tilt the hub enough to get them in, be careful though the driveshaft might pop out, happened to me but easily popped back in with a bit of wiggling left to right...

gaza4

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
Try harder? :lol:

But seriously it shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to tilt the hub enough to get them in, be careful though the driveshaft might pop out, happened to me but easily popped back in with a bit of wiggling left to right...
well ya see thats a fear of mine, i've had the shafts pop out before and the bearings fell out of position so had to remove the entire shaft to reseat them!!!

ollydc5

Advanced Member
What polybushes have you got installed ?

Some polybushes are known for going dry which can lead to them going quite tough to move. They will go, if the arb is also still connected it can make it tougher to push down to get the strut in place

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I can't remember if I actually had to push the arm down when fitting my coilovers, can't it be slide out towards the middle of the car then dropped out at an angle?

gaza4

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
What polybushes have you got installed ?

Some polybushes are known for going dry which can lead to them going quite tough to move. They will go, if the arb is also still connected it can make it tougher to push down to get the strut in place
I've Energy Suspension bushes. I might look at letting the ARB go to help the process...

tricker_luke said:
I can't remember if I actually had to push the arm down when fitting my coilovers, can't it be slide out towards the middle of the car then dropped out at an angle?
You might have been luck that the height of your coilovers matched the position of the hub.
My problem is that the bushes keep the arm in a more rigid position and causes the hub bolt holes to be higher than the ones on the strut. even with the old bushes putting a foot to the arm or the hub to push it down was nessesary to align the holes

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Some coilovers may sometimes be slightly shorter to stock depending on the ride height surely ???

I've had slight issues like this in the past but to be fair like a brute i stick a lever bar in somewhere practical and push it down. Helps a lot if there's a few more hands

gaza4

Advanced Member
Just doing the work here now and the hub and strut just would not line up. Hub was falling forward so drive shaft was disconnecting from gear box. Had to rotate it to get it back in. But the strut was hanging too low to allow the shaft to rotate without catching on the cv boot. Dropped out the arb link and it gave me just enough more movement to get it all together!!!

gaza4

Advanced Member
Just doing the work here now and the hub and strut just would not line up. Hub was falling forward so drive shaft was disconnecting from gear box. Had to rotate it to get it back in. But the strut was hanging too low to allow the shaft to rotate without catching on the cv boot. Dropped out the arb link and it gave me just enough more movement to get it all together!!!

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I usually use a long jemmy. Wedge it somewhere solid the sit on it while getting the strut bottom in place.

Disconnecting ARB is my last resort unless I need to change them too. Terrified the hex will round off :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Disconnecting ARB is my last resort unless I need to change them too. Terrified the hex will round off :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Could always remove it from the 'D' bushes/brackets.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
well ya see thats a fear of mine, i've had the shafts pop out before and the bearings fell out of position so had to remove the entire shaft to reseat them!!!
Out of curiosity which bearings are you referring to?

gaza4

Advanced Member
Burn! Motorsport said:
Sounds like the sleeve in the poly bush is pinched! Common issue and one reason why I hate them.
meaning that the metal sleeve inside the bush may not be sitting straight???

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
gaza4 said:
meaning that the metal sleeve inside the bush may not be sitting straight???
I have seen it a fair few times where the bush's are wider than the sleeves, as you tighten them up the sleeve pinches between the mounts and the bush gets crushed in the process. This means neither the bush or the sleeve can rotate freely causing a spring loading on the suspension arm.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Burn! Motorsport said:
I have seen it a fair few times where the bush's are wider than the sleeves, as you tighten them up the sleeve pinches between the mounts and the bush gets crushed in the process. This means neither the bush or the sleeve can rotate freely causing a spring loading on the suspension arm.
ah i get ya. just had a look at pics from my project thread...front one seems fine but the rear is hard to see at that angle...