Removing sump, new gasket needed????

cwwoodley

I am thinking of doing an oil change and want to take my sump off and give it a good clean out,

Is there a rubber gasket like the one on the rocker cover at the top of the engine?

or if i remove the sump will i have to get a replacement gasket from honda?

any help with this before i get stuck and cant drive to honda would be great

chris

dave7368

Advanced Member
:?: hmm.... no offence matey but this seems like a pointless exercise to me
I've never known anyone to remove and clean the sump when doing an oil change....

cwwoodley

on a kit car i once did an engine strip on, when i took the engine apart as you do for new seals and bearings, and the sump was about 4/5mm deep in hard gunge that had built up over time,

i just want to see if the same has happened on this engine and if so clean it all out so i know the inside is nice and clean.

haitch

Advanced Member
Is it not a sealant that you use? Good to check the sump now and then, make sure there are no issues.

Paul G

Members
cwwoodley said:
I am thinking of doing an oil change and want to take my sump off and give it a good clean out,

Is there a rubber gasket like the one on the rocker cover at the top of the engine?

or if i remove the sump will i have to get a replacement gasket from honda?

any help with this before i get stuck and cant drive to honda would be great

chris

It's a sealant from honda you will need (it's not a gasket). But your in for a big'ish job, from memory the sub frame has to be dropped as well to get the sump off... :(

cwwoodley

Yeah your right i managed to get a copy of the service manual and it gives you a step by step of what to do but it still looks like a big job, esp if you havent got a garage to do it in,

cheers for this info.

chris

civicsport

the subframe has to be removed to get the sump off. even worse if you are fitting a baffled one! there is no gasket either, only sealant