Removing the black window garnish strip

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Does anybody know how to remove these without breaking anything?! I need new ones but Honda want silly money so was going to clean them up best I could really.

Any help appreciated.

Adam

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Yeah it runs between the c pillar and wing mirror. Honda want £50 for each of them!!

Mark_teg

Staff member
I've heard they're expensive!
Me and davepingu were looking at it yesterday. There seems to be plastic clips holding them in place. You'll need to the doorcards removed to see and gain access.
I said to Dave I want to replace mine, until he told me the price!

hondazzz

Advanced Member
you dont need to remove the doorcards!!!..there is the right way and the easy way... i dont remember either...hahah pointless post of the day!!

i think you start pulling up and a bit towards you from the c pillar and directing to the mirror.

google it, i think there is a video on youtube too!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I've taken both of the door cards off anyway because I'm having the central locking looked at.

The white clips look complicated but will attempt it anyway when I have time.

Thanks Ian for the link. Will check it out.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Alex_Wilson said:
id love to replace these on mine as well.

group buy?
I think a lot of people would do this but I'm unsure how much, if at all discount we would get. At £43.97+vat EACH they are stupidly expensive. But this was from my local stealers, not Dave@Steels. Might get a group buy through him.

Also the earliest they can get them in is;

8/2/2013 for the RHS
15/3/2013 for the LHS

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Would be typical now mine has just arrived at Steels! Just doing the passenger side one on mine for time being but going to experiment with vinyl wrapping it prior to fitting to see if I can keep it looking nice and glossy.

Could do a guide if anyone would be interested?

G Man

Advanced Member
Why not wrap the current one and save yourself the cost of a new one? :unsure:

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I could have in hindsight. Its just with a few of the other seals needing replacement due to problems with a leak I wanted piece of mind and the problem gone so I bought the lot to be sure.

Going to see how it all goes and will then make the decision as to what to with the drivers side.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Would be typical now mine has just arrived at Steels! Just doing the passenger side one on mine for time being but going to experiment with vinyl wrapping it prior to fitting to see if I can keep it looking nice and glossy.

Could do a guide if anyone would be interested?
Yes please Dave. Might start on this next week. How much did you get yours for in the end?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'll get it done as soon as possible then mate. Steels phoned to say it was all in today so should have it by Friday or early on next week.

I think it was about £50 - £55ish for that section so yes not cheap! I've ordered all new plastic trims and rubbers for the passenger side with the exception of the inner seal that runs all the way around the door aperture (will order this separately) and it was about £170 for the lot. Needs to be done in my case though because of the leak. Will certainly be looking after these ones when they are installed though. Lots of rubber conditioners etc!!

On a side note, as I know you're in to your detailing you should have a look behind the door cards and plastic membrane. Been cleaning the inside of my doors up tonight and they're filthy! Amazing how places like that can gather so much muck! Even noticed some orange around one of the holes the door card clips pop in to!

Will get some more pics up in my progress thread over the next few days. That mastic glue that holds the plastic membrane in place is hideous to clean away. Like fresh chewing gum!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
On a side note, as I know you're in to your detailing you should have a look behind the door cards and plastic membrane. Been cleaning the inside of my doors up tonight and they're filthy! Amazing how places like that can gather so much muck!!
Way ahead of you my friend!

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
David a guide would be super if you wouldnt mind :)

Never thought about getting a black glossy vinyl to wrap them in. That could be a good shout i may give it a try.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'll get some pics up shortly. Hoping to have the parts at my house by middle of next week as they are now in at the dealer :)

Never ever done any vinyl wrap so im sure there'll be lots of swearing and wasted bits of wrap going in the bin!!!