Removing the steering wheel?

Suped

Advanced Member
Does anyone got/know a how to in removing the standard and disabling the airbag for a replacement? I'm after a Mugen lightweight steering wheel.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi

It's not a hard job!

1) Most important thing to do, is to disconnect the car battery for at least 20mins before you start (allows for the residual charge with it the airbag to dissipate away) :!:

2) On the OEM wheel, you will find 2 cover panels, remove these.

3) Your then find 2 screw / bolts with 'star' heads (they have a name, but can't think of it now :oops: )

4) The airbag should now lift off, discount from the electric wire from the SRS activation unit / horn

5) Get a 'mate' to hold the OEM wheel, using a long handled spanner (or torque wrench) undo the center hub bolt.

6) Now pull the wheel, you may find it rather hard but tug a few times will free it.

OEM wheel is now off!

Remember to make sure when installing the new wheel the front wheels line up, and make sure the torque on the hub bolt is correct (can't remember it's value though).

With any replacement Steering wheel remember your need a Boss Kit. Also, remember that your still need to have a horn button (requirement for the MOT anyway).

Hope that helps

Mike

mikegsi

Staff member
by disconnecting the battery i take it this will stop the srs light from staying on on the dashboard?

Wootty

Advanced Member
Quck tip when pulling the wheel off - dont take the centre nut off completely - leave it on the last few turns. That way when the wheel comes free you dont smack yourself in the face with it :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I think srs light will come on though, with the spoon boss you get a wiring mod to stop the light.

Trung

Advanced Member
Has anyone tried the Momo boss?
It cost 50% less than the Spoon one. The DC5 shares the same boss as the S2000 and EP3.

mikegsi

Staff member
C&S Evo7 said:
I think srs light will come on though, with the spoon boss you get a wiring mod to stop the light.
i did a simple how to on how to reset the srs light, only takes ten minutes, but if your not putting the oem wheel/airbag back on then it doesnt really matter i suppose, mght as well strip the passenger one out too and reduce a little bit more weight!

Suped

Advanced Member
cheers lads, I'll be shortly getting a momo wheel boss kit then give the above a whizz with a new steering wheel.

Suped

Advanced Member
installed a Mugen wheel on me missus's EG2 delsol and liked the shape and feel of the wheel. As homer would say "Hmmmm... nice...!"